I've been declared "living" by the FAA

brian]

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
brian]
Looking at Bonanas again - the 35s. Yep, I'm bananas... I should just give this aviation junk up .. but it is more addictive than crack. (Not that I have experience with crack, but the symptoms my prosecutor wife says about her "clients" seem to match this obsession.)

Get this: the -35 only had a 185 HP engine and all the ones I'm looking at require the HP endorsement. So the plan is a Cherokee 6 (for the endorsement). Haven't had a lot of time with the POH, but looks like WOT and the spinner pointed at the ground I might make the speed I'm used to in the V tail ...

Still, the 6 looks like a cool heavy lifter ...

Last edited:
congrats on the FAA status.

the 6 is 'sloooow'.

Can't find a 182 to do the HP endorsement in?

I recently added the B33 and C33 to my fantasy league airplane list, though I don't know much about them. Are they just a straight tail N35/P35?

Can't find a 182 to do the HP endorsement in?

I recently added the B33 and C33 to my fantasy league airplane list, though I don't know much about them. Are they just a straight tail N35/P35?

No. The non A suffix 33 are 225hp 470. The n and p 35 are 260hp variants of the 470. A very significant performance difference imo. 33s can be upgraded by stc, but are still useful load limited without the expense of tip tanks.

The 6 is just what is available. For the endorsement. Also first time I've flown in a year so it will be an official BFR.

I have asked for the logs on an A35, but the owner went radio silent on me last week as I lined up a local A&P/IA to help me verify condition- so.

Looks like I'll return to the original plan and start looking for a 33/35 with a 470. (This particular A35 was a bit of a known quantity- not sure I'll go with another E series bo if this deal falls through. Still not sure why the owner flaked out on me.)

I have a lead on a local N35, but the logs show it hasn't flown much in the past four years or so. I know the A&P that maintains it- so there may be more to the story.

In short- no solid leads. Heck, might even buy "the right mooney". All depends upon what I bump into out there looking.

I'm trying not to go much over $65k.

Get this: the -35 only had a 185 HP engine and all the ones I'm looking at require the HP endorsement.

How can that be? If it doesn't have over 200 it's not HP. Complex yes. Trivia point - a Seneca 1 is not a HP airplane.

So - there seems to be a poster asking if 50 is too old to own an airplane. Then there is another one saying they are too risk adverse to even start.

Pfft - give it a try. If you like it - GO FOR IT. It's just a matter of time before the knees really do wear out (after the hair line is all gone) and they stuff you in an apartment all alone. (Hopefully next to a pallet of scotch - but I digress.)

My suggestion: JUST DO IT.

Oh - and I finally bought that A35 ....

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 11.23.15 AM.png

19875538_1606147312737352_7348652171718866537_n.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 9-1.17.35 AM.png

So - there seems to be a poster asking if 50 is too old to own an airplane. Then there is another one saying they are too risk adverse to even start.

Pfft - give it a try. If you like it - GO FOR IT. It's just a matter of time before the knees really do wear out (after the hair line is all gone) and they stuff you in an apartment all alone. (Hopefully next to a pallet of scotch - but I digress.)

My suggestion: JUST DO IT.

Oh - and I finally bought that A35 ....

View attachment 54793

View attachment 54794

View attachment 54795

Nice looking Bo.

I started flight training at 45. I'm actively working (or have been until this year) on my IR at 57. I say go for it. In 10 years you'll be 10 years older than you are now, whether you fly or not.

Back