I've Been Busy

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Other than most of April, May, and June having been home-insurance lodged in a hotel while my water-damaged house has been under repairs, I did get my latest project completed. House still won't be completed until August 15. It's been a zoo.

On August 05-6-7 I'll be the featured artist at Arts In the Barn (Cushing Historical Society). The new book shall be introduced, first printing slated to arrive on July 27. Tight timing!.

HRBook Cushing Covers.png

My compliments.
Thanks; 20 pages, 8" x 11", memories and a lot of photos. The front cover is of Gay Island, Flea Island, Pleasant Point Harbor, Pleasant Point, Davis Point, and looking toward Friendship which is out of the picture at upper left border. Back cover: Long time friends(top three now deceased). The land shot in 2nd row is looking off the old Crute Farm shore property. The cruise schooner was just off Hathorne Point(famous for Andrew Wyeth's "Christina's World" painting from 1949). The captain/tour guide was probably about to point out The Olson House but the ship wouldn't be going too much further up the St. George River because of depth and/or tide condition. It had probably been into Pleasant Point Harbor which is where the river empties into the ocean. The family shot - 2nd row - are daughter and granddaughter of 3rd from left, top row(had been my asst. scoutmaster, Sunday School Superintendent, and singing partner over a bunch of years. The old church dates to early 1800s, has been closed for 60+ years, open for services only during the summer; owned by Cushing Historical Society. It's near the south part of town, several miles below my church which was near the Crute Farm. Bottom corner shot is just another angle of Pleasant Point Harbor. I nailed it from about every angle.

Beautiful photography! Congratulations on the new book...
Below are pages 4 and 5. If you look for the old house with the two dormers(slight upper right from center), that's The Olson House, made internationally famous in 1949 in Andrew Wyeth's painting "Christina's World." Christina's nephew John Olson and her grand nephew Sam Olson operate the lobster business at bottom center. I grew up just a couple miles up from The Olson House.

Book Cushing Pages 4 and 5.jpg

Is it never too late to say, "Thank you?" The last page of the book. The inside back cover is normally blank.Book Cushing Page 20.jpg

"Have you seen Cushing like I've seen Cushing?
Don't - - - - - -frown, it's such a great little town."
(Pages 8 and 9 of the new book) On page 9 the long road running from center to the
shore cuts through the middle of the farm where I was raised. On page 8 it runs from center to the bottom.
Book Cushing Pages 8 and 9.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful work as always, and sorry to hear about your house. Ugh.
Thanks; the house is almost reconstructed as necessary. All that's left to be done is the installation of new granite counter tops by a different company that took them out and broke MORE than they admitted and have been stalling for over two months about putting them back. Certain paneling can't be replaced until the granite is back on the counters; the plumber can't fully connect the kitchen until tops are back in place,k and that's August 15. LIBERTY MUTUAL INSURANCE has been terrific, will pay for an entirely new installation(and I won't be surprised if LM files a counter claim against the company that broke the granite during removal).
My problems are totally insignificant when I watch the news about Houston, TX; West Virginia; and the corn belt tornadoes.

Back