iTunes update, Now transferring data to a new phone doesn't work

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
So my iPhone 6 battery was dying, and the phone was having trouble with the latest software updates. Might as well upgrade to the 8. Get the 8, open iTunes, restore from backup. Oops, enter password. Long story short, no one knows what that password is. Apple support says, "you must have encrypted the backup and it wants the encryption password. Just backup without encryption." Except iTunes never asks about encryption. Even went to another Mac. I previously had no problem when I bought the 6, so I'm guessing this is Apple's way of forcing the use of iCloud.

The latest upgrade to iTunes (required to connect the 8) says something like - iTunes has been enhanced to improve the experience with music and videos, or something like that. My translation: if it doesn't add revenue on iTunes or the App Store, screw you.

You can no longer manage your applications with iTunes.

If your backup was encrypted, you must have selected to have it encrypted and chosen a password at some point. As far as I know, iTunes does not default to encrypted backups. If you’re on a Mac, I you can opt to have the encrypted backup password stored in the keychain; on Windows, you’re likely on your own to manage it. In any case, you can toggle encrypted backups on and off by connecting your iOS device, and then selecting it in iTunes using the icon in the navigation bar at the top of the iTunes window.

One advantage to encrypted backups is that they will also store your iOS app authentication credentials, so that they are also restored from the backup.

The pop-up message about the “enhanced” iTunes experience only means that iTunes no longer manages apps and ringtones. I’m not sure what the ringtone experience was like, but it’s been a long time since I used iTunes to manage apps. Apps will still be restored as part of the backup restore process by automatically downloading them from the App Store. The layout will be preserved by the backup process.

JKG

Back