iTunes on Vista / Password issue

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
We just bought my mom and iPod Shuffle as a gift. We went to down load iTunes on her computer that has Vistar and when we got half way through Vista wanted us to type in the password. She was unaware she even had a password ( she is less tech savvy than I) we tried what she thought it may be but no luck. iTunes could not finish loading with out the Vista pass word. Any thoughts that could help?

We just bought my mom and iPod Shuffle as a gift. We went to down load iTunes on her computer that has Vistar and when we got half way through Vista wanted us to type in the password. She was unaware she even had a password ( she is less tech savvy than I) we tried what she thought it may be but no luck. iTunes could not finish loading with out the Vista pass word. Any thoughts that could help?

I think the default administrator password for Vista is just blank. Have you tried just hitting enter when it asks?

Is she set up to log in as an administrator account or a non-administrator account?
I believe you can set up an administrator account so that it will not ask when you want to install new software.
I leave it on to remind me whenever something tries to install.

Last edited:
The only time Vista should ask for a password during software install is when a person is logged into a user account, not an Admin account. Try logging out of Vista (Start > Log off, IIRC), and then log in as "Administrator" instead of their user, and then try installing iTunes.

If that doesn't work, you can reset the admin's password in the control panel as well, but you have to log in as an administrator first.

And actually it's a good practice to have separate administrator and user accounts, something that Vista is actually doing a pretty good job of. Log on as an administrator. My guess is that it requires that the password be changed. Make sure you know the new password. Then either do as Nick suggested and install it while logged in as administrator, or go back and install it as you were attempting, but type the now-verified password when prompted.

The potential flaw in my theory is the question of how the non-administrator account got created if they hadn't previously logged in as administrator. If they had done so and changed the password, then you're faced with the problem of determining the administrator's password.

Back