It's vewy, vewy quiet

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Greetings from underneath final just north of PWK. I noticed that it's very quiet today.

GW is coming to Chicago.

I guess even though IFR Part 61 and Part 121 flights can get a squawk they are still staying away.

What got me was when I checked DUATS Satruday morning knowing the TFR was coming thanks to AOPA ePilot it wasn't really obvious. There was note in the FDC NOTAMS for each airport pointing to main TFR NOTAM. I think if you don't select the option to see the FDC NOTAMs you wouldn't see any of them. Scarwy.

mikea said:
Greetings from underneath final just north of PWK. I noticed that it's very quiet today.

GW is coming to Chicago.

I guess even though IFR Part 61 and Part 121 flights can get a squawk they are still staying away.

What got me was when I checked DUATS Satruday morning knowing the TFR was coming thanks to AOPA ePilot it wasn't really obvious. There was note in the FDC NOTAMS for each airport pointing to main TFR NOTAM. I think if you don't select the option to see the FDC NOTAMs you wouldn't see any of them. Scarwy.

Which is why I call FSS before engine start and ask for an abbreviated briefing for TFRs and NOTAMS. Even if it's clear and a million from PA to CA, the call is worthwhile.

Joe Williams said:
Which is why I call FSS before engine start and ask for an abbreviated briefing for TFRs and NOTAMS. Even if it's clear and a million from PA to CA, the call is worthwhile.

Yep. That's me, always.

If it ever matters, once, it'll all be worth it.

SCCutler said:
Yep. That's me, always.

If it ever matters, once, it'll all be worth it.

I always ask FSS "are there any TFRs?", about 1/5 times they then ask me if I have listened to the recorded security NOTAM. I tell them yes and then ask again because the information is so dynamic that I cannot trust what their recording tells me. They hate that:D:D but know it to be true.

You know, it still blows my mind that the FAA website isn't considered a "final authority" source. If you can't trust the FAA, whom can you trust? :rolleyes:

As I checked in with Potomac Approach this morning out of OKV, the controller was talking to Air Force One... "climb and maintain Flight Level 240"

mikea said:
Worse than that, the TFR says it can change at any time. HOW are you supposed to know that? Stay continuously in touch with FSS?

Yeah, that's just it -- you are NEVER clear. It would be one thing if the worst that happened was a letter in the mail, "hey give us your side of the story, no harm no foul." But the prospect of being forced to the ground by 'jackbooted thugs' because I inadvertently bumbled through a TFR, that's a whole 'nother thing!

I think of that Bill Cox article every time I fly. And his is a "good" story about a TFR "violation."

Not to harp on how ludicrous this situation is -- we as pilots probably know better than any -- but do they have Temporary Ryder Rental Restrictions? The 2nd biggest act of domestic terrorrism was good old Timmy McVeigh and his Ryder truck. No one stops highway traffic in a 30mi radius for hours at a time, do they? Oh, and just how big a threat was Bill's Mooney to AFOne? As fast as the Mooney is, AFOne could probably outrun it with full flaps down! AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I just get sick of thinking about this.

Thanks for reading my vent, fellow pilots.

flyersfan31 said:
You know, it still blows my mind that the FAA website isn't considered a "final authority" source. If you can't trust the FAA, whom can you trust? :rolleyes:

Your Garmin G1000 with datalink, where the TFR's show up on-screen while you're in flight. :yes: :D

Back