It's time to talk about floatplanes and flying boats

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
As some of you know, we take possession of the Harbor Inn on Mustang Island next Monday. Over the next 18 months or so, we will be transforming it into an aviation-themed motel for pilots, much like we did at our motel in Iowa City, IA, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites.

Unlike the Alexis, however, we're not going to be doing all the different eras of aviation history. (Example: We have a "Wright Brothers Suite" and a "Charles Lindbergh Suite" in Iowa City.) Rather, in deference to our island location, we wish to focus on flying boats and floatplanes, and the eras in which they flew. We feel that we should concentrate on the aeroNAUTICAL side of aviation because of where we are located.

That all said, I need to come up with 23 (!) different themes/names for these rooms! Mary and I fought some ferocious battles over the names of the theme suites in Iowa City (I lost the "Hellcat Suite", I'm afraid), so I'd like to avoid that problem this time around. Worse, I'm afraid my knowledge of aircraft that can land in the water is pretty sparse.

Even worser, the names of the rooms must sound cool and vaguely romantic/familiar to non-pilots. Thus, the Supermarine S6B, although probably the coolest floatplane of all time, won't work as a room name.

Here's what I've come with thus far:
  1. Boeing 314 Pan Am Clipper
  2. Martin China Clipper
  3. PBY Catalina
  4. Hughes Hercules/Spruce Goose
  5. Short Empire
  6. Short Sunderland
  7. Grumman Goose
  8. Grumman Albatross
  9. Grumman Widgeon
  10. Grumman Mallard
  11. Sikorsky S-38
  12. Sikorsky S-39
  13. De Havilland Otter
  14. ...?
Help! I need nine more flying boats/amphibians/floatplanes!

Also, just like we did with the Alexis, if you (or anyone you know) has old airplane "stuff" laying around that you'd like to see go to a good home, send it our way. Wing ribs, ailerons, non-airworthy props, you name it, we'll hang it on the wall and call it "art". (We filled two 3-story buildings in Iowa City with that sort of stuff, and turned the place into an aviation history museum!)

Also, if anyone knows where I can buy a non-airworthy floatplane (to stick up on the roof), let me know!

Thanks,

These come to mind.

Blohm & Voss BV 222 - I am a little dubious of the claim on wikipedia that this plane flew to the United states after the war. As I recall from Dick Schreders Biography "10,000 feet and Climbing" The engines installed in at the end of the war were so unreliable due to the poor quality bearing used due to the Allied bombing that it was deemed unsafe to fly across the ocean. The 2 cycle Diesel engines in it were quite an impressive design. The Flight controls actuated by trim style tabs made it very interesting to fly. My understanding is that planes the US claimed were eventually destroyed after only a couple test flight and 4 or 5 engine fires on those few test flights.

Speaking of Dick Schreder there is all the the Consolidated PBM, Credited for sinking the first German U-boat in US Waters.

Some more ideas.
Dornier Do 26
Dornier Do 214
Grumman Duck
Martin SeaMaster
SeaDart

I actually kind of liked the Supermarine Suite.

Brian

Twotter... it's the room you rent by the hour....

Last edited:
Jay, it is strange how things work out...
Monday you take possession of your new business...
Monday I lose possession of my old business and become someone's employee for the first time in 40+ years...
I suspect we both have internal quivers...

Sounds like fun, congrats on the new business. I hope some of this helps.

GAF Nomad N22 on Floats - see:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/GAF-N-22B-Nomad/0757169/&sid=a644b82744dd1c9c7bcbfa3b1a092db4

Twin Otter (Twotter) on Floats - operated by Seaborne Airlines in USVI see: http://www.seaborneairlines.com/corporate/fleet.php

DHC Otter on Floats - operated extensively in the Pacific northwest and Alaska -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Canada_DHC-3_Otter

Caravans on Amphibs - operated by Shoreline Aviation see: http://www.shorelineaviation.com/Shoreline_Aviation/Home.html

Dornier Seastar - Newly certified production amphib - see
http://www.dornierseaplane.com/content/image-gallery

Bombardier CL-415 - Current Production amphib -
http://www.bombardier.com/en/aerospace/products/amphibious-aircraft/about-us?docID=0901260d80018aa7

Martin Mars - currently working fighting fires - http://www.martinmars.com/

There are numerous light aircraft if those interest you. J-3s PA-18s Pa-12s, etc.

Experimental amateur built abound as do light sport amphibs, most S.E. Cessna's are available on floats, There is a single piper Apache out there doing flight training in California.

Another thought I have is you might want to do a Seaplanes At Work theme. As you can see from above they are important for firefighting, tourist ops in nice climates, inter island transport for example in the area of Kenmore Harbor, WA, sportsman trips to remote areas in Canada (and probably elsewhere).

How 'bout a room dedicated to the Schneider Trophy, and the racing floatplanes of the late 20's?

Good idea.

Dang, I wish it sounded cooler, though. "Schneider Trophy", to the uninformed, sounds like something a high school janitor might win for having the cleanest gym floor... :D

I don't see the Catalina PBYx pick a number.

In the GA area you have the Lakes which I don't see in a quick thread review either.

Jay, it is strange how things work out...
Monday you take possession of your new business...
Monday I lose possession of my old business and become someone's employee for the first time in 40+ years...
I suspect we both have internal quivers...

You can say that again!

As of today, I don't owe anyone a red cent. Free and clear. I'm even out of the stock market. No worries. Could retire, even.

Come Monday, I will owe my soul to the financing gods. One false move, and we could lose everything. If the economy burps, I die. I feel like Philippe Petit, about to step out on the wire... :yikes:

People keep telling me "If you build it, they will come." Well, it worked in Iowa -- let's see if the idea translates to Texas!

Here is the world's first Aztec Nomad, STC'd and piloted by Jack Murdoch. Jack was the founder of Tektronix, and died in a Super Cub accident.

withkgwatermark.jpg

You could do a room for "The Cessna's" and use pictures of all the various Cezzna's on floats up to the Caravan.

Ok, maybe not. It'd be a bit pedestrian in comparison to the historic floats & 'phibs.

And maybe you could have a room for non sea planes afterall ... that is how many of us will fly down to stay at your hotel :yesnod:

You could do a room for "The Cessna's" and use pictures of all the various Cezzna's on floats up to the Caravan.

Ok, maybe not. It'd be a bit pedestrian in comparison to the historic floats & 'phibs.

Cessna making floatplanes for 8 decades is not "historic?"

It might be interesting to pay homage to Clara Adams and Lady Grace Drummond-Hay.

As you can see from the link below, Clara Adams was the self-styled Maiden of Maiden Flights, being a paying passenger on the first run of many routes. Many of these flights were on seaplanes and on zeppelins. I know you want to name rooms after planes, but these two ladies seem so adventurous for their age, that you may wish to consider them.

http://www.authorstream.com/Present...-flights-manual-entertainment-ppt-powerpoint/

-Skip

I hope you are gioing to have a Seawind suite......

I know it is not the "official name", but non-aviators will know it - The "Spruce Goose Suite"

Maybe Wipaire (or other float mfr) could send you some promotional photos and materials?

Take it or leave it. :)

I like it. :D

At the Alexis, we've had a whole slew of names proposed -- and rejected. The aforementioned "Hellcat Suite" was one off the milder ones, actually.

Other "rejects" over the years have included:

The Hindenburg Suite
The Pan Am Flight 800 Suite
The Bong Suite (in a college town? Fuhgetaboutit!)
The BUFF Suite
The Tenerife Suite
The Mile High Suite

...and so on. You'd be amazed what people come up with.

What about something to do with the Benoist XIV, flying boat. First commercial airline service in the United States, between Tampa and St. Pete. Granted, its kind of old (1913), but I think it might be an interesting idea.

Any of Glenn Curtiss's very early waterborne aircraft. Curtiss was so instrumental in the development of and wide acceptance of aviation that he should have a suite in any aviation themed venue.

Back