It's time to add to the money draining stable. Suggestions?

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Nope. Not a horse. Not another plane. I have access to multiple.

Guitar.

I just picked it up 4 years ago, and got myself a Mexican built Fender Strat, about a year later picked up a Fender Bass as well. I'm thinking I want something else for feel for certain songs. It just seems like I'm missing something with the Stratocaster - or maybe it's just my playing. I'm not so sure I'm going to get much of a different sound out of since I'm plugged into a HeadRush GigBoard, and then into a 2000W HeadRush powered speaker.

I mostly play mainstream rock - you know the talentless guys like AC/DC and ZZ Top. Love playing that crappy 80's stuff where the more hair you had the better the music was, Also (attempt to) play some Satriani, Johnson, Vai.

I'm kinda leaning Gibson, but rather that just "get one of each!" I'd like to keep the damage to a minimum. Oh, and I also rarely sell anything I buy, so the whole buy it, try it, sell it isn't on the table so much either.

So what say you?

Will you be bringing this talent to the next KY Dam fly-in? You can have a duet with @OkieFlyer !

Speaking of which, where’s he been?

just get yourself The Pick of Destiny

TDM6-40.jpg

It fits in a plane so is meant to be :)

Are guitars part of the 'money draining stable'. They are not like horses that eat and poop while you sleep, they dont need annuals and dont corrode away at the dock. They dont even need ammunition.

After the strat, comes the Les Paul or the SG usually. The real deal made in US stuff isn't cheap. Some of the Epiphone stuff isn't bad for the money. Not much different than the Mexi-Fender stuff in terms of quality control.

Are guitars part of the 'money draining stable'. They are not like horses that eat and poop while you sleep, they dont need annuals and dont corrode away at the dock. They dont even need ammunition.

No but you buy strings, and pedals, and new amps, and more patch cords, and recording software, and a computer to run the recording software, and...

Just buy a Matoon and learn Tommy Emmanual finger picking style.

After the strat, comes the Les Paul or the SG usually. The real deal made in US stuff isn't cheap. Some of the Epiphone stuff isn't bad for the money. Not much different than the Mexi-Fender stuff in terms of quality control.

I've heard similar about the Epiphone stuff. Get's you 90% of the way there without the high cost of entry for a true LP.

In all seriousness, if your strat has all single coil pickups, get something with humbuckers. Les Paul, SG, ES-335, something. Epiphone makes some nice lower priced versions. My son found an SG studio model by Gibson for ~$700 new a few years ago. Satin finish and dot neck but plays and sounds the same. It has sustain for hours. (Well really good sustain anyway.)

If you’re looking for a different sound that’s one of the fundamental sound changers.

If you like AC/DC pick up a SG. I have an Epiphone version (G400 “1966” model) and its really playable - very light weight. Or if you just want to look cool get a Gibson Explorer or Flying V!

It fits in a plane so is meant to be :)

Actually brought 2 guitars back from Sweetwater on Saturday. Was out at the airport talking to hangar neighbor and said I was headed down there. He'd never been, and he also plays. So I flew down, we each got a guitar and on the way back I gave him a flight review.

I've heard similar about the Epiphone stuff. Get's you 90% of the way there without the high cost of entry for a true LP.

I used to have an Epiphone Les Paul, and it exceeded my expectations. I played it through a Peavey 800 watt amp with a quad 12" cabinet, and the sound was great. I never had any problems adjusting the intonation, and the neck was straight and fast.

I used to have an Epiphone Les Paul, and it exceeded my expectations. I played it through a Peavey 800 watt amp with a quad 12" cabinet, and the sound was great. I never had any problems adjusting the intonation, and the neck was straight and fast.

I think they have a few special editions which change up the pickups according to whichever artist had their input on it. If I ever learn to play my acoustic worth a darn, I think the Epiphone LP will be my first electric.

Back