It's Strange How the Strangest Things Are Offensive! [NA]

K

KennyFlys

Stolen from WSJ Best of the Web (Mostly Quotes):

DUTCH VANITY

The Oregonian reports that a family "has been ordered to turn in the vanity license plates for their cars because the state finds their Dutch name can be interpreted as offensive":
The plates, UDINK1 UDINK2 and UDINK3 are on the vehicles of Mike and Shelly Udink and their son Kalei. . . .​
Last summer Kawika Udink's application for Udink4 was rejected, and the state ordered the other three plates returned. . . .​
The plates were deemed offensive by a 10-person DMV panel that approves custom, or "vanity" plates, which cost an extra $80. House, who serves on the panel, said the reasons were the sexual references that can be associated with the name, which can be treated as a verb.​
"DINK has several derogatory meanings," wrote panel member Yvonne Bell. She said it also can be a racial slur, especially toward Vietnamese.​
We've never heard of the word dink, except as an acronym for "dual income no kids," so we looked it up on UrbanDictionary.com. It did list the Vietnamese slur as well as "a polite version" of some impolite anatomical insults. But there was no indication that the word "can be treated as a verb."

We also found this 2000 article from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:
As King County sheriff's deputies engaged in a standoff with protesters during the World Trade Organization conference last fall, a "handful" of deputies removed or rearranged identifying letters on their riot helmets, according to a draft of a Sheriff's Office report on the handling of the protests. . . .​
[Sheriff's spokesman John Urquhart] said deputies, forced to stand for long stretches of time, were just "dinking around" when they switched stick-on letters spelling out their "nicknames." . . .​
ACLU spokesman Doug Honig said the office may not have received more complaints because protesters couldn't identify the offending deputies.​
And Urquhart's explanation that the deputies were just "dinking around," Honig said, "was hard to believe . . . People shouldn't be fooling around with their identification."​
So dink means "to fool"? "Dink me once, shame on you. Dink me twice, shame on me." "You can dink some of the people some of the time, but you can't dink all of the people all of the time." "I'll get on my knees and pray / We don't get dinked again."
Oh well, whatever the word means, one thing is clear: Dinking and driving don't mix.
It sure dinks me how it's so upsetting to anyone. :dunno:

Saw a plate in Anchorage once. TIH 50N (think about it)

I remember when I was still active duty in the Navy, the powers that be decided to get politically correct and made the following newspeak changes.

Black Board-Chalk Board
White Board-Marker Board
Flip Chart-Chart Pad

I remember one time, watching some presidential speech (I think it was Clinton, but really, it doesn't matter), and we had close captionng on.

Clinton said something like "I think its time..." an the closed captioning said "I dink....dink....dink..." and at the time, a group of Vietnamese were shown on tv. So bad.

For those unaware, "Dink" is what you say to someone in mixed company when you'd really rather call them a "insert slang for male genitalia" when in the north east US. As in, "You're a friggin' dink, do ya know that?", sometimes followed up with, "Ya poojabbah!" (yes, they say that too)

Obviously, this euphemism is generally uttered by the working class.

And yes, it's hilarious that the Udinks' cannot have their vanity plates.

Back