It's so nice...

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
... when you take someone up for the first time in their life, and it blows their mind. Like, literally.

Been dating this lady recently - truly outstanding, she is - and she was away for the week at her company's sales/marketing shindig (she runs the latter dept). Anyway, she was coming back straight into a big powwow at their biggest client in the valley, and I said "hey, let's do something different, so you can wind down after a stressful week".

Poor girl ended up stuck in ugly bay area traffic for almost three hours yesterday getting to Concord, but still managed a smile when I saw her. I had the plane preflighted but drove back out and waited for her so she could get the whole experience, including driving onto the airport itself and parking right behind the airplane (always a nice kicker for folks who are new to this).

Her mood started changing as soon as the gate opened and I eased the car through. By the time we got in the plane she was already getting excited. She got quiet during taxi, absorbing things, but I could her little gasps as we made our way across 32R headed to 19R for takeoff. I had explained the sterile cockpit concept and she followed it well, but I could hear from her breathing that something special was going on in the right seat. By the time we were at 1500ft departing right downwind and I indicated we could talk again, it became an instant torrent of jumbled excited speech. I don't think I ever remember anyone reacting this way; she was literally jumping up and down in her seat pointing at things and asking question and just being totally into the experience.

And because of the traffic delay, we ended up launching quite literally into the sunset, headed to Half Moon Bay for dinner. As you can imagine, flying over the bay, across the golden gate, and by the shore, while enjoying spectacular pink skies at 2000ft was not the worst way to give someone their first taste of flying low and slow. Everything worked out nicely, too; by the time we got to HAF it was just into the stage where I could turn the runway lights on for her, which I did just as we were crossing it overhead, nailing the timing perfectly for another cute little mind-expanding trick.

And of course, coming back after dark provided another incredible experience in a completely different way.

I have never had a passenger react so positively strongly. We talked about nothing but the experience almost the entire time (which of course I did not mind whatsoever). I have been getting enthusiastic texts with little memories and tidbits for the past 24 hours or so, with neat comments like "you have given me a lifelong experience and I have no idea how to thank you". This woman is a high-level executive in a large setting, I'll remind you. Even better, she's asking me if she can do it, too, so I may get to induct someone else into flight training (which will be my third).

Feels good to be a pilot right about now. Jus' sayin'.

I love it when a plan-e comes together as well as yours did.

Your senerio turned out much better than the screamer I had up in the right seat.

I thought this girl was never going to stop screaming, I could barely hear the ATC instructions.

Taught me a lesson...

Very thoughtful of you to plan out a nice dinner flight. Next time do something she is interested in ( just to break it up) and you might have a partner for life. ;)

Last edited:
Very thoughtful of you to plan out a nice dinner flight. Next time do something she is interested in ( just to break it up) and you might have a partner for life. ;)

Sounds like he has ALREADY found something she's interested in.

Very cool. There are people out there who love aviation who just don't know it yet.

Very cool. There are people out there who love aviation who just don't know it yet.

Yeah... it was just pretty nifty for one of them to turn out to be my date Friday. I think there's a real shot of her signing up for some lessons following that experience.

Your senerio turned out much better than the screamer I had up in the right seat. [...]

Taught me a lesson...

Nice pun there... so do tell!

Ummm better than the non screamer girlfriend of one of my employees who asked to see her house from the air, looked down for one second than launched her entire breakfast (large, lots of bacon, and less than one hour prior) all over the instrument panel, center console, herself, and the floor - all without the slightest warning...

nasty stink...

denny-o

Your senerio turned out much better than the screamer I had up in the right seat.

I thought this girl was never going to stop screaming, I could barely hear the ATC instructions.

Taught me a lesson...

Pilot/ISO switch.

Took two kids up, much much much more interested in my Android Phone and singing, luckily I have an ISO switch.

Let's get straight to the point here: did you "close the deal" or not? :D

My next "first date" is gonna be a flying date to the location I posted about before in Hammond, LA. I just hope my girlfriend doesn't find out lol.

(Just kidding ok i don't have a gf at the moment . . . or a wife in this country).

-Rob

Pilot/ISO switch.

ISO heck! An ejection seat would be more like it.
I pulled the plug on her headset and I could still hear her screaming through my ANR headset.
Mild mannered girl on the ground turned into a screamer in the air.

New Policy: No more plane rides for crazy people, especially up front.

Back