It's not official yet, but...

Would 7/30 make you more apt to attend?

• Yes, I wouldn't otherwise make it.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No, I can't believe you would interfere with OSH, you heretic!

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No, I wouldn't attend your stupid fly in anyway.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No, I will make it regardless of the weekend.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • A different weekend would be better.

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...all signs point to us getting 6Y9 reopened in the spring, smoothing the entire thing out, and extending it to about 2300'. So that calls for an airport reopening fly-in, of course!

I was planning on an August 12 fly in, but have committments for that weekend. So I was going to move it to the 5th, then realized that OSH ends the weekend before, and folks may not want to do another fly-in so soon after OSH. So, the question is, would having the fly-in on the 30th of July induce more of you more distant folks to attend?
6Y9 is 1:15 from OSH at 124kts

Last edited:
Cool Dave. I understand Wx and $$ is ALWAYS an issue.

FYI, there's camping available there (friends with the adjacent property owner) and at our 10 acres. Also cabins available (2) adjacent to the field.

I can't guarantee anything, but I'd love to come...that is a long ways tho...

How about "let me think about it." also, our club doesn't allow grass strips, is there a hard strip nearby?

Bill Jennings said:
How about "let me think about it." also, our club doesn't allow grass strips, is there a hard strip nearby?

Not unless I can close off the state highway. Nearest paved strip is 30 miles (direct) away.

N2212R said:
Not unless I can close off the state highway. Nearest paved strip is 30 miles (direct) away.

I need to get a copy of the club ins. again and re-read. I suspect it is not the club insurance that prohibits us from flying to grass strips but rather the whims of our president, "King Ralph".

*sigh*

Shipoke said:
someone will come pick you up over there Bill

That would be cool. Ed, set a date, so I can try to grab a plane.

Maverick said:
I'll second that question. Attend What???

Jeannie

Ed Fred is a god amonst aviators, as he got a closed airport reopened, and this is the celebration of the reopening.

SkyHog said:
I can't guarantee anything, but I'd love to come...that is a long ways tho...
And judging by your last foray out east it would be even longer coming back. You have to think about the inbound leg.

Seriously, Nick. It would only be, what, 10 hours for you? And it's mostly flatland for since you're already at ABQ.

Bill Jennings said:
I need to get a copy of the club ins. again and re-read. I suspect it is not the club insurance that prohibits us from flying to grass strips but rather the whims of our president, "King Ralph".

*sigh*

For occasional use clubs will often waive that prohibition, in writing, with evidence of both minimal pilot proficiency and meaningful, additional profits to be realized for the club pursuant to the exercise of that written waiver.

Last edited:
Reopening any airport is a very special and significant victory! Congratulations to all involved.

Reopening any airport is a very special and significant victory! Congratulations to all involved.

Bill Jennings said:

*sigh*

Tell King Ralph to shove it up his wazoo. Grass strips are much nicer to planes.

Hey Ed, I'm there! but then agian I'm close, Give us a date so we can schedule airplanes. Camping and airplanes at a reopened strip! what could be better!

Missa

Henning said:
Tell King Ralph to shove it up his wazoo. Grass strips are much nicer to planes.

I know that, but the rule is written in our club rules and regulations. No joy. I think I'm going to call Mark at 1A0 and see if he allows his planes to go into grass strips. If so, I'll do my complex with him and get checked out in the Arrow and use that as my grass strip trip plane.

I'd love to come, but the last weekend in July and the first weekend in August are the dates for two important waterski tournaments that I plan on attending. Typically I go to EAA Airventure mid week for a day or so to avoid the tourament conflict.

Back