It's always bad when the family sees it happen...

More likely a bird strike, or spontaneous control failure, or seat-rails that let go, maybe a fuel-stain on the carburetor bowl......

"Pilot did not maintain adequate airspeed during low-altitude maneuvering."

Condolences, Signed... NTSB.

It's a very avoidable way to die.

Low passes over residential areas often end badly, even if you're not busted for the violation.

Do you think that they stalled the plane? (That might be a stupid question, I'm not above asking those!).

Since they were circling around the house, I'd have to guess it was a "moose stall." We don't know for sure in this case, and it terrible that two people lost their lives in such a way, but let's take a chance to learn from this either way. If you take your buddy up to see his house from the air, YOU fly the plane, especially circling low and slow like this. Let them enjoy the view while you concentrate on airspeed and staying coordinated.

Ha the article says 'it is unclear if they filed a flight plan'

Surprised that happened in a Cherokee. The pilot must have been really out of shape.

Do you think that they stalled the plane? (That might be a stupid question, I'm not above asking those!).

More than likely. It's an all too common scenario. Slow flight, maneuvering at low altitude, pilot gets distracted, bank increases, speed decays...next thing you know, you're inverted and looking at the ground as it rushes up...and you're off to meet your maker.

It's a situation some CFIs use -- at a safe altitude -- to illustrate the point about accelerated stalls. "Hey, I want to look at something down there. Just circle around here. No, slower, so I can see better..."

Stupid pilot tricks.

Never do a maneuver close to the ground that you have not practiced at altitude. :rolleyes:

Pretty simple rule to fly by, but pilots die every year trying to beat it.

Last edited:
"Hey, I want to look at something down there. Just circle around here. No, slower, so I can see better..."
Oh you CFI's are so tricky! But the point and lesson are very well taken and very much appreciated. :yesnod:

Oh you CFI's are so tricky! But the point and lesson are very well taken and very much appreciated. :yesnod:

Oh, I am no CFI -- far from it. Only had my PP for six months. But I do know the tricks some of them use! :D

Don't do a buzz job and this won't happen to you. RIP to the pilots, and the most heartfelt condolences to those who witnessed the tragedy. I can think of few things worse.

Very Sad. Low altitude and slow airspeed can be a disaster.

I'm always highly conscious of this on base... and final... I try to remember to breathe....

Breathing might be optional, keeping the airspeed up not so optional. :wink2:

Back