It's Alive! It's alive!

Todd Copeland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glasair pilot
Still messy but it works! My Glasair III will fly, it's just a matter of time now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    772.5 KB · Views: 285
Nice panel. Hope you left enough slack in the wiring to work on things later. Don

Nice panel.

Just curious, I am not that familiar with all the avionics in kits. Which one acts as the transponder?

The usual default is that there is a single "BOX" that does the talking (to the world) and it interconnects with all three of the panels -- but the builder can change that (adding additional boxes or restricting the interface) as he/she pleases.

Nice panel. Hope you left enough slack in the wiring to work on things later. Don

Yes, as a matter of fact virtually everything has a quick disconnect to remove components or the whole panel. Note that the windshield is not yet installed either. If I followed the builders manual it would have gone in two years ago and this would be a lot harder!

Nice! 80% done....70% left to go? :D

Hoping I'm truly at the 90% fwf is virtually done! this is nearly done. Should be painting within two months. Flying by spring at the latest I hope but as the saying goes...."best laid plans...."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 89
Hoping I'm truly at the 90% fwf is virtually done! this is nearly done. Should be painting within two months. Flying by spring at the latest I hope but as the saying goes...."best laid plans...."

There's always two camps to painting, I'm in the "Fly it before you paint it" camp. It's easier to clean up oil and prep for paint than to touch up paint after you find out you have to take the plane apart or cut into it and patch it shut to fix something.

Well, at least it's not software. That follows the 90-90 rule. The first 90% of the work takes 90% of the time. The last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

It looks really nice! I hope you're flying it soon!

John

There's always two camps to painting, I'm in the "Fly it before you paint it" camp. It's easier to clean up oil and prep for paint than to touch up paint after you find out you have to take the plane apart or cut into it and patch it shut to fix something.

You are right. I flew my Glastar before painting it but this time I think with winter weather anyway I might as well paint it. It truly could be airworthy inside of two months. My paint job will be intense work and I want it done right so I'm just going to get it done before flying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 99
You are right. I flew my Glastar before painting it but this time I think with winter weather anyway I might as well paint it. It truly could be airworthy inside of two months. My paint job will be intense work and I want it done right so I'm just going to get it done before flying.

Stunning paint scheme!

That is gonna be one cool Glasair!

That is a sweet looking panel! Glad you are seeing the light, or perhaps the blue skies in this case, at the end of the tunnel, it is exciting to see a project come together.

For the love of god, man.....surely you're not building that in a HANGER are you? Truly a heathen.....:wink2:

Nice! Tempting, but I think the RV guys have pulled me into their camp....

glasair III with that panel, awesome! what kind of glasair is it? I considered an rg before going with the mooney.

It's a glasair III. As for the wings, here is the full scheme for the paint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 35
Progress on the project. Been doing bodywork and paint. Looks a lot more ready to go flying but the paint scheme still needs to be applied. Maybe flying by April I hope.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 39
I have lots of long board time on this. Still, nowhere near what I'd call great, but probably well above average. I'm not a skilled body guy but I have learned a bit doing it. I'll post more as the scheme goes on. Thanks for the kudos, it does help to keep you going.
Believe it or not, this mess is about little tiny pinstripes. Will demonstrate as it comes together. For the novice, it takes a little thought to figure out the best sequence on the complex scheme and I'm probably still off base compared to an expert.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 30
Back