iThing Mail Question

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Over the past year, 100 percent of the email-related trouble tickets I've received have been from users who use iThings. Dismissing the initial setup support calls, all the calls have the same pattern:

1. The account had previously been working fine.

2. The account stopped working, for no apparent reason.

3. All the settings are correct.

4. On the server side, either the user name or the password come through corrupted, so the request is rejected. After enough failed attempts, the account and/or IP are locked, depending on which security program gets annoyed first.

5. Changing the information on the iThing, and then changing back and saving it again, doesn't correct the problem. The only thing that does correct it is deleting the account and re-creating it.

Is there something about the iThing mail client that makes it especially prone to spontaneous corruption? Is there any way to fix it, or any alternative mail client that anyone can recommend? The support calls are getting tiresome.

I will say that these problems tend to come in clumps, which makes me wonder if they have to do with some sort of updates on Apple's end.

Thanks,

Rich

What method do the IOS devices use to get mail? SMTP/POP, IMAP, Exchange...?

What method do the IOS devices use to get mail? SMTP/POP, IMAP, Exchange...?

It doesn't seem to make a difference. IMAP apparently is the default and therefore the most common, but this morning's ticket was from someone using SMTP/POP. No one is using exchange (at least on my service) because I don't support it.

Rich

It doesn't seem to make a difference. IMAP apparently is the default and therefore the most common, but this morning's ticket was from someone using SMTP/POP. No one is using exchange (at least on my service) because I don't support it.

Rich

Are you a Certified Apple Cloud Provider?:rofl: If you are not then Apple sabotages your service so they switch, it was in the last iOS update...bwaaahaaaahaaaa... and you thought Google was evil....:yikes::lol:

Are you a Certified Apple Cloud Provider?:rofl: If you are not then Apple sabotages your service so they switch, it was in the last iOS update...bwaaahaaaahaaaa... and you thought Google was evil....:yikes::lol:

It wouldn't surprise me, actually. But I'm less disdainful toward Apple than I am toward Google. Apple at least sells real products -- and good ones at that. Whatever money Apple makes from data mining is gravy.

Their email client, however, does seem less-than-wonderful, at least judging from the high number of support calls I get from iThing users. The Android mail client, on the other hand, seems to at least be stable, even if the interface is crappy. I guess Google figures they need to keep their users' email working lest Google have one less stream of user data to mine.

Rich

Been using Mail daily since the first iPhone. Never once had an authentication issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back