It was the Best of Landings, it was the Worst of Landings

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
Went to a pancake breakfast this morning. As I was getting close, it was apparent that one of the inbound airplanes had his axis reversed and was flying the anti-pattern. A few hints and he realized and corrected his problem.

I ended up landing behind him and made the best landing I've made in months. Rolled all three wheels on, coasted to the end, and taxied to parking. I'm sure there were people on the ramp applauding my landing, but I must have overlooked them somehow.

An hour or two later, I returned to my home field. In the pre-flare at about 5', I could feel the airplane decelerate and stop descending - I'd caught a gust pretty much nose-on. So then I began the whole thing where you try and fly through the gust, leaving yourself in decent shape to complete the landing. A little power, a little elevator, wait it out, and BAM, the bottom falls out. More power! And another gust. The second gust had a substantial crosswind component and I was hanging there, low and slow, drifting across the runway, trying to decide on how to save the landing.

Eff it, time for a go-around. First real one in years. The second landing attempt went much better. Oh, and while I was on downwind for the second landing, I took a good look at the hangars facing the runway to see if anyone had seen my go-around. Nope, I got away with one...

A couple of other RV guys landed as I was putting mine away. I spoke with them later and they were laughing about how nasty it turned right as they flared, and how bad their landings were, so I guess it wasn't just me...

Sounds like you made a good call. No shame in going around. It's safer than Ploping it on the runway and drifting into the grass. That's more embarrassing than the go around.

Sounds like you made a good call. No shame in going around. It's safer than Ploping it on the runway and drifting into the grass. That's more embarrassing than the go around.

Aren't all runways grass?? Sounds like OP made the best decision, the op, his pride and airplane are all intact! Alls well that ends well!

-VanDy

**** happens, even in an airplane. Going around is way cheaper than pronged gear and a possible 709 ride.

I'm sure we all have more that one story which goes like this! Good job in deciding to go around!

My tail wheel CFI tells me that go arounds are free, take as many as you need.

actually, it was not the worst of landings - since you never touched down!

He clearly doesn't spend much time with the fuel guy, or he owns the FBO. In spirit he's right though!
Comparatively he's right, though. I saw a 170 smash in about three months ago at an airport that shall remain nameless. He smashed in so hard - that he actually hit the prop on a three point landing. I know how hard that must have been because I've been flying two different 170s with students, and I've NEVER seen anything like it.

Ryan

It must have been within accepted limits since:

1. You walked away.
2. You can use the airplane again.

Everything else is over-kill.

I haven't flown that long and don't fly often enough. Got my PPL in 2005 and have only a handful of what I call "perfect 10" landings. Like to think I've had a lot of good landings, but have had a few as you described. Have only gone around once, but I certainly keep it in mind every landing.

Comparatively he's right, though. I saw a 170 smash in about three months ago at an airport that shall remain nameless. He smashed in so hard - that he actually hit the prop on a three point landing. I know how hard that must have been because I've been flying two different 170s with students, and I've NEVER seen anything like it.

Ryan

That is pretty crazy, how did it happen? Just no flare?

That is pretty crazy, how did it happen? Just no flare?

There's a bent Champ around here that 3 pointed from ~10'. That's what happens when you do a full stall landing from high enough.

It must have been within accepted limits since:

1. You walked away.
2. You can use the airplane again.

Everything else is over-kill.

It wasn't even a white knuckle kind of thing. It was just "Damn, this ain't gonna work, better to try again."

In which case you get extra points for knowing that at exactly the right time rather than 30 seconds later. :D

It wasn't even a white knuckle kind of thing. It was just "Damn, this ain't gonna work, better to try again."

The guy who flared my club's Cherokee Six from way too high while carrying four WWII vets should not have chosen to go around. After bending the wing and smashing up the gear. He got lucky and the plane was able to make it around the patch. Still, you gotta know when to fold 'em.

Back