It Reminded Me of the Goat in the Clouds

tlglenn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ted
Remember that, "Far Side" comic where two pilots in the clouds see a goat and one pilot asks the other how that goat managed to get up that high?

Yesterday I flew into Renton near Seattle and I was in pretty hard IMC as I was being vectored to the north around SEA and BFI. During one turn I happen to see a big cargo ship outside my left window below me. There was no visual distinction between the sky and the water. I thought it was neat and worthy of a photo if I was able to take a photo.

Remember that, "Far Side" comic where two pilots in the clouds see a goat and one pilot asks the other how that goat managed to get up that high?

Yesterday I flew into Renton near Seattle and I was in pretty hard IMC as I was being vectored to the north around SEA and BFI. During one turn I happen to see a big cargo ship outside my left window below me. There was no visual distinction between the sky and the water. I thought it was neat and worthy of a photo if I was able to take a photo.

Sounds normal to me!

That would look weird. Did it make you check your altimeter?

Once, when a certain verbose controller was working east departures off of Chicago (which leads over Lake Michigan), there was a humorous exchange.
The radar was picking up numerous false targets that day.
"United 414, VFR traffic, one o'clock and three miles, maneuvering, altitude unknown...it might be a boat."
The United pilot responded sarcastically, "If it's a boat, we'll miss it.":)
ApacheBob

Back