It never ceases to amaze me

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Have you ever noticed that you could talk to a complete stranger or rather anyone you come across and as soon as you both mention being a pilot, you can automatically talk like friends with a very common passion. Smiles then rise off both faces and immediately ask what you fly and about the airplanes themselves. It no longer matters what your background is, how famous you are, how rich you are, or you're surroundings. For that instant, that second in time, you both share a part of a small and distinct family called aviators.

I came across this remembered realization from a very brief phone conversation tonight. My mom had gone to a concert in our home town where Little Texas was playing. If you know your country, They play "God Bless Texas." If you know your aviation music, one of the band members, Dwayne O'Brien, created the CD called "Song Pilot" with his Pitts biplane on the front. When it was my mom's chance at an autograph, she asked a simple favor of saying hello to me on the phone and mentioned I was an aviator myself. I expected a quick, "hello" and be done. But he gave a very supprising, "really? Yea, I'd love to talk!" He sounded surprised that we knew he was a pilot. As soon as he got on the phone, I told him my name and instead of him hanging up, he asked me what I flew. "Right now I'm flying a cessna 172" Dwayne: "Really? I got my private in a 172 in Oklahoma, I have a Pitts now" Me: "Yep, the Pitts is on your CD" Dwayne: "You have the CD? Thats awesome!! Thank you very much!!" I was in slight shock to be thanked, I didn't know what to say other than, "You're welcome!" After that, he had to head back to his autographs, so I said it was nice to meet him and the conversation was over. I guess to me of course it was inspiring to talk to someone famous but it was so awesome he took the time to say hello because we had a common bond, flying. And for some reason, it makes me special and others like me in the same way. So when others may just go on with their lives and think that was just neat, I thought I might share the brief appreciation for who we are and another reason of why we fly. It resembles so much to POA in the fact that some of us are Doctors, Lawyers, students, businessmen, war veterans, or simple weekend aviators, we share a common bond that can't be broken no matter who we are. We are a family, we are lovers of flight.

Dwayne O' Brien's "People, Places, and Planes"
"....As I taxi to the tie down with a grin a mile wide getting smiles and waves from every space as I pass by. It's like no other feeling I've known, to cover 1500 miles and I'm still right at home..."

Forever a Pilot at heart,
Tristan

Last edited:
That's a wonderful and very accurate sentiment, Tristan. It really is incredible the bond that aviation brings...from WWII vets to heavy Airbus and Boeing Captains to Ted Dansen (he's been on my plane 7 times this year) to the guy in 1A who's listening intently to the radio...everyone seems excited to talk about the plane, the weather, or the last time they went flying. I'll always be astounded at the people I've met and the things I've learned through a simple conversation started because we two strangers recognized that glint in the other's eye as he stared skyward.

Tristan, that's pretty cool. Being a pilot and in love with flying is one of few things that really do break down the barriers that might otherwise exist.

In the Navy, I flew out of Navy Jax Flying Club. My own instructor was a retired Senior Chief Petty Officer (E-8). You rarely interacted much with anyone over E-7 and those were usually on the job. The other instructors were officers with one being an S-3 pilot and the others being P-3 pilots. It was cool to learn from them and hang out around them, talking aviation.

But, the coolest was when I was on watch in the ready room aboard the Ike. One pilot, Lt Cmdr Daniel Lane, was around most all the time since he was a senior officer in the squadron. Two things that got me to talk with him were the same last name and I was also a pilot. Granted, there's a tad difference between a S-3 Viking and a Skyhawk but... both are fun to fly. I just wish I had been in his shoes. While it was frowned upon to have officers interacting with enlisted in a non-supervisory fashion, the flying broke down a barrier with Mr. Lane and a tidbit with a few junior officers. I always looked forward to watches in the ready room.

Besides, I had two monitors and audio right there with me to watch the traps. :)

You are exactly correct, though in my life it doesn't happen too often (though my AOPA decal on my rear window has helped on a few occasions.)

The last time it happened, I was at AirVenture this past year (go figure). My wife and daughter finally joined me, and as we toured the C-17, my daughter recognized an old friend from Charlotte. She was there with her father, whom I had not previously met. He asked me if I flew, and said that I did, and got my PPL two years earlier. He was unusually interested in my flying, and only at the end of my conversation did I learn he was a USAir 757-767 captain. Some pilots are humble too!

Very good and true story Tristan.

I just met a guy this week who was from Finland. We were chatting about a few things and flying came up. Turns out he is a pilot as well and before long we were sharing pictures and telling flying stories. I now have a invite to go flying with him in January when I visit Finland!

Very cool Tristan. That reminds me of one of the issues of Kevin Garrison's CEO of the Cockpit - he's talking about a gathering of pilots shooting the bull at Sun 'N Fun and they ended their conversation when the movie started. The movie starred one of the pilots in the bull session - it was some story about the President's plane being hijacked on its way back from Moscow... Now, if a big movie star like that can be humble and just sit around talking with fellow pilots, then this fascination, love, and passion we all share is truly magical.

Someone said it in another thread, but I will repeat the sentiment. There isn't a pilot on the board, even those with whom I argue politics, for whom I wouldn't buy a drink.:drink: :wineglass: :cheerswine:

Someone said it in another thread, but I will repeat the sentiment. There isn't a pilot on the board, even those with whom I argue politics, for whom I wouldn't buy a drink.:drink: :wineglass: :cheerswine:
Can I settle for a chocolate shake? :)

Sure, you can even have whipped cream and sprinkles.

(I was originally going to make that a beer, but don't know how to put up little smiley dues with beer mugs)

One pilot, Lt Cmdr Daniel Lane, was around most all the time since he was a senior officer in the squadron. Two things that got me to talk with him were the same last name and I was also a pilot.
Kenny Lane - isn't that a Beatles song? :D

When were you in Jax?

One of the wonderful benefits of being a pilot is that it cuts across the entire cross section of my city. You meet people with a common interest that you would NEVER have met before. And you can help each other out!

and can we call you Marvin?
This Marvin?
marvin_150.jpg

and can we call you Marvin?
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate my middle name. I'm actually considering changing it to Michael so the initial is the same. I was named for my grandfather on my mom's side.

I found out about ten years ago he was very abusive of and cheated on my grandmother, Daisy. But, we all called her Mammy. She was a saint.

I recall her making HUGE breakfasts for kids and grandkids packed into a five room house over holidays. There would even be fried chicken on the breakfast table. I didn't know until years later that same chicken was running around out back a few hours earlier. :hairraise:

/7500

Back