It happened again...

I literally don't know a mechanic who recommends using overhauled cylinders vs. new cylinders. The price delta is so small, there's just no reason to not go new.

And yet the cheapest part of any airplane is still the person writing the check.

And yet the cheapest part of any airplane is still the person writing the check.

to pile on this thought a bit... I was struck by the shop rate for the dealer repairing my motorcycle: $90/hour. Are there any shops charging that (or more) for small GA?

to pile on this thought a bit... I was struck by the shop rate for the dealer repairing my motorcycle: $90/hour. Are there any shops charging that (or more) for small GA?

Depends on where you are. At the expensive, urban or suburban airports around Atlanta, yes. 20 miles farther out? No.

That's at the high end of GA rates in the DFW area. But if you're comparing total annual labor expense for your car vs your plane . . .

That's part of the reason why I didn't get more involved in the Aztec and 310 maintenance until recently. It cost less per hour to let the mechanics work on the plane than it would've cost to have mechanics work on my cars. Given limited amounts of time and needing to choose which vehicles to wrench on, the ground-based ones were the obvious choices. Nevermind the fact the plane was also already at the airport and the cars were already in my garage - an additional convenience factor.

Another good reason to live in an airpark...:yes:;)

It was something we did consider when we moved here, but it didn't seem there were any that offered a location that worked for us.

I would've really liked that arrangement.

It was something we did consider when we moved here, but it didn't seem there were any that offered a location that worked for us.

I would've really liked that arrangement.

Didn't want to go live at Hal's place?

Didn't want to go live at Hal's place?

I'm not sure which airport that is.

We had a relatively picky list to work with. Needed to be 30 minutes or less commuting time to work, proximity to necessary shopping (in PA it was 15 minutes to anything), schools for the area, privacy when on our property, general hatred for most developments/subdivisions, and that's before we even get inside the house to see if it meets our size and layout preferences. Combine that with a limited timeframe to buy and move in before baby was born, and well...

There is a development right next to our airport. Wouldve been convenient, but didn't meet our other criteria. We ended up deciding airport proximity was relatively low compared to other criteria.

But would I ever love to have the 310 in the garage...

Back