It feels sooo good to fly

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I hadn't been up since Jan 31 due to crappy Wx and family obligations so on Sunday my wife said go flying, So I did. I drove up to Quakertown ( UKT) uncovered the Cherokee and removed the oil cooler cover since it was 60* headed for 70* Threw in 18 gallons and headed for the skies. Well actually I took to the skies and headed to Wings figuring that I could find a willing Pax there. I enjoy sharing the experience more so than solo. It was amazing I got no takers.

Then I called Gary Mascelli and told him he had to meet me for a soda so we picked MQS Chester County Carlson Airport. That was only a short hop and I wanted to put some time in the log book so I figured I'd fly to RDG then to MQS that was about when Lee Kitson called me back and he had to make the solomonesq choice of changing the oil on his car or come flying. ( he made the right choice) ( I'm very fortunate to have so many great POAers in the area to fly with)It was going to take him about 30 min to get to Wings so I hopped in the cherokee and did some pattern work while he drove down. When he got there we hopped in and took off for RDG ( Reading PA) had a nice flight and watched a lear take off from PTW and climb past us also i actually had to take evasive action for a big Turky Buzzard. I banked left he climbed and then dove he probably picked me up on his TCAS :skeptical:.

We got vectored around RDG and then set up for a T&G on 36. On climb out we were vectored again and started to get rocked pretty good It wasn't too windy so it must have been some mechanical stuff off the hills

As we approched MQS with a nice long 5400' runway Wind was about
6@ 170 so we set up for 11 when we made the call for left downwind for 11 I got a call " Hey BUD Chester County is using 29 grrrrrrrrr I guess I should have said great I'm using 11 but since there was a buch of stuff in the pattern I opted to switch to 29 BUD! The wind was light and I had a shizzle of runway.

WELL the ride down final was certainly interesting, the wind on base was a tail wind so my turn was not too flattering and as I came down final the sock which was still favoring 11 starts to stick out and spin a bit mmmm I was 8' off the runway with the nose pointing somewhere to the left and other than down the runway and my right foot on the rudder stop and she just kept going and going and going Finally got her down but that was odd for sure.

Gary was supposed to meet us at 1:45 ish as he put it. I didn't realize he meant Central Standard time and not DSL for the east coast LOL he showed up at about 2:35 and did a great job on the Practice ILS and he made me feel much better about my approach as I don't think I ever saw a Sundowner glide quite so far. As he floated down the runway about 5' off the ground and floated and floated and floated I turned to Lee and said " he was planning on landing at THIS airport right?" The winds really were bizzare as I'm sure Gary will attest.

After a good late lunch and some good pilot companionship Lee and I headed off to UKT to put the cherokee to bed. Approaching UKT Lee and I heard the following call " Cherokee entering the downwind on a 45" Then Cherokee Left down wind" my response of course was Left down wind WHERE? Anyway all was good in the end it was a student and instructor at UKT and they again let us know of a bummpy ride down final. I put her down on the centerline and turned off and Lee and I tied her down with 2+ hrs in the log book. There is something very satisfying you feel after a good day of flying as you jump off the wing and push the bird back in to its spot.

Total of 3 flights this winter. Hope Spring is better. See you at Wings, and I'm bringing the Free Bird no matter what.

...as I came down final the sock which was still favoring 11 starts to stick out and spin a bit mmmm I was 8' off the runway with the nose pointing somewhere to the left and other than down the runway and my right foot on the rudder stop and she just kept going and going and going Finally got her down but that was odd for sure.

I saw the same wind weirdness yesterday about 1700 EST at KWAY. I was going to take my wife up for her first Chief ride. As I taxied to the ramp (I was going to do one pattern and test the bumpiness) I watched the sock point straight out in 4 cardinal directions in the span of a minute.

I parked the bird and waited a half hour until it made up its mind.

amen!

I flew 16 Jan and finally got to fly 20 March.

I've been up 3 times since the first of the year, Saturday being the most recent. A C-172H takes a loooong time to climb to 11,500 MSL, but the views of Mt. St. Helens were worth it. 9,500 would have been fine, but a front was coming in and it was a little rough for picture taking at that altitude.

Sure felt good to go fly.

Gary was supposed to meet us at 1:45 ish as he put it. I didn't realize he meant Central Standard time and not DSL for the east coast LOL he showed up at about 2:35 and did a great job on the Practice ILS and he made me feel much better about my approach as I don't think I ever saw a Sundowner glide quite so far. As he floated down the runway about 5' off the ground and floated and floated and floated I turned to Lee and said " he was planning on landing at THIS airport right?" The winds really were bizzare as I'm sure Gary will attest.

:redface: Yep is was blowing pretty good and I had the power pulled back, she just would not land. :dunno: I too felt a bit better when Keith (58M) landed in his Cessna 172 as we were all leaving the Cafe'.....he said he floated forever.

Fun time catching up with everyone. Sorry I was so late getting there, I'm usually the first to arrive. I finally broke the 400 hour mark with that flight. While going through the log I did note about 35 hours flying since December 09.

Last edited:
The last hour I logged was in October, I was planning on flying this past weekend, but we got a foot of snow, maybe next weekend.

I've been out weekly this winter in one plane or another, (7.3 hrs Feb+Mar in 09L) but it's been a tough one with all our snow and ice. I was lucky to get out Friday morning with an Architect I work with and we flew over some job-sites that are in construction. 6:30am was nice and smooth, and he looks forward to joining me again sometime.

I've been up 3 times since the first of the year, Saturday being the most recent. A C-172H takes a loooong time to climb to 11,500 MSL

:rofl: especially in the summer! This winter is great, been getting 800 ft/min through the winter,.. not looking forward to those 350-400 ft/min climbs in the summer, and I"m at 302 feet MSL!

I didn't get the call in time, otherwise Ally and I would have hopped in 09L (C172-H as well) and joined you guys. We dedicated Madison at church in the morning and then headed out to lunch with the extended family. Glad you got out and enjoyed the weather!

Last edited:
Flew the ARF flight this weekend. I agree, winds were so very strange and all over the place. I think it had alot to do with the cold air still aloft, ground heating, a pretty good SW component and the mountains. Aloft, it also took me forever to get to 6500 from MGJ to BGM. At times we had a 45kt headwind in the climb, and a 64kt ground speed. It was choppy to say the least. On the way home, we were making 110kts indicated and 148kts ground speed. That was alot better! At least none of the animals barfed in the plane!
Oh and yeah.....made it to 200+hours this weekend!!! :cheerswine:

Last edited:
Back