It doesn't pay to behave...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Hey Nick... Guess what? Ha.

I'm that annoying driver that sets the cruise at the speed limit and leaves it there. I've done the math. There's no point in speeding. You'll get there about three minutes ahead of me.

Anyway, last year on the dirt county road north of the house, I got a ticket. This was because it isn't marked at all other than a sign right at the corner where you enter and you're looking left to make sure no one is coming. No other signage for 4 and a half miles. The neighbors had all said, "That's the summer short cut. It's awful in winter but it's not bad in the summer and you can do 50 on it." Cool. Up to the dirt, the pavement is marked 50. It's not a stretch out here to think it continues. It also goes toward work instead of backtracking. It's one of only three roads out of here.

I waved at a pickup truck and then saw it do a U-turn behind me. Very rare out here and I thought "that's weird", until the hidden LED lights in the grill came on. Oh. Bummer. Ok.

The truck was the Sheriff's brother who's listed as a "Special Investigator" and I suspect he and the other guy in the truck were just coming back from Court or someplace else in "the city" and here this country bumpkin waves and smiles at them doing 50 in a 40 on a dirt road in a Subaru. I interrupted their trip I guess. Ha. Well, whatever.

I took my lumps and just mailed in the thing. (See Nick's thread about how useless it is to go to traffic court in Colorado.)

Now for background, I've got a 74 mile round trip commute. If I were a bad driver or regularly speeding, by the law of averages, I would have a pile of tickets. A big pile. That doesn't include trips to the store or airport or anything else. A typical day can be over 100 miles of driving. Easy.

Anyway, that was last year. In October the County decided to pave "the summer short cut". They're not done yet. It's May. The latest estimate is June. LOL. 4.5 miles.

As you can imagine, whoever the contractor on this thing is, is bottom dollar. Signage and communication of what they're doing isn't exactly a high priority. Sometimes they're out there really working, other times half the signs and cones are fallen over and no one has been out there for weeks. Weather is a major factor, of course. They just don't even show up if it's precipitating.

Signage has been "interesting". They plastic wrapped the county speed limit signs (Two. One one way, one at the other end for the other way..). Then they put up the temporary stuff. "Fines doubled in work zone" and once in a while a "25 MPH" sign. And then the wind blows it over or they put it so far out in the ditch you might not even notice it. And they move it all around depending on where they are in this 4.5 miles.

They've also at times set up one of those one-way traffic lights and marked it "Wait time 11:20". Sat through that thing many times while watching multiple cars blow through it and those that blow it, just deal with pulling over if they happen to encounter opposite direction traffic.

Other times they have flag men and women.

In other words, typical country road building and totally spastic.

Whether they're out there or not, I don't speed. Yes, I do see idiots flying through there at 55+. Especially after dark.

Friday I am putting along on the new pavement, cruise set at 40, (enjoying the lack of washboards) and I come up on a big dude in a lime green vest and a car parked in the dirt off the side. Cars parked all along this road are common, that's what the construction workers do a quarter mile or so from any work going on. The road has curves and hills and you can't really see large distances down it at any point along it.

No markings on the Charger parked in the ditch. No large letters saying "Sheriff" on the vest. I'm so used to flag men at this point, I pull up in front of him and stop, awaiting an indication to go. He doesn't have a stop sign nor a radio. That's weird.

Then he points at the ditch in front of his car. I do a double take, and nod toward the ditch, like "you want me to go around you in the ditch?" and then I finally see about a 3" or 4" "badge" logo silkscreened on his vest and start to notice there's a uniform hiding underneath that huge lime green 3XL. Ohhhh.

I pull over and roll the window down and kill the wife's barbershop quartet on the stereo.

"Go ahead and hand me your license and registration and proof of insurance and pull up a little more over there and then we'll talk."

Ahhh crap. Ok.

Hand him the stuff. He reads the insurance while still in my hand and says he can see it's good and doesn't even want it. He walks to his unmarked car. Comes back. Standard lines about "people driving through the work zone too fast" and what not. I just let him talk. I'm in no hurry and arguing roadside is useless anyway. Plus I was having a nice day.

He asks, "Where have I seen this vehicle before?" Ha. Do they teach fishing classes at cop school? I just smile and shrug. Why would I answer that even if I knew. (I mean seriously, all my smart ass brain is thinking is, "Your house last night?" Or, "Oh lots of places. I'm kinda a big deal." LOL. I sure as hell wasn't going to say any of the funny **** that was running through my head. Luckily my brain to mouth filter was active.)

Smile and nod.

Here's where it gets almost comical. He hands me a fancy new ticket from what's apparently a new printer system in the cruisers. Last year it was the usual "push hard you're making three copies" note pad type of thing. He starts to explain it and I'm showing zero expression while I think, "You guys need printers you give out that many tickets? No wonder I just got a $50,000 property tax assessment increase. That **** being installed in all the vehicles and the data plan to hook it all up, isn't even close to cheap or cost-effective." Again, filter active.

Apparently this printer thing is a big deal to the country bumpkins. Long explanation of how to read ensues. I'm smiling and enjoying the sunshine and figure I can probably handle reading it later. Try not to yawn.

He also points out a card stuck to the back of the thing in four color print that has some private website on it. "And we are in the 21st Century now. You can pay online." (And I bet there's an 8% surcharge for that company to get paid and a huge kickback or the company is owned by someone related to someone, I'm thinking but not saying. Yay filter! I've never seen this company before and I'm still thinking about researching how they got chosen as the vendor for the County, but I know how this stuff works out here and I'm sure there was a no-bid contract granted.)

Now let me note that even though I wasn't consciously aware of it, I haven't seen a single construction worker or any work being done on this silly road anywhere today. They finished paving it a week or two ago. All that's left is to put up permanent signage, paint it, and it's done. Finding it completely empty is common.

In the middle of handing me the ticket he turns around and points at a vehicle that went by a minute ago and is down around he corner and a hill... "I really wanted that guy! That black SUV."

Great, I think. Tear up that thing in your hand and go get him. He probably speeds through here every day from the size of that hard on. I'm cool with that. (Yay, More filter. More smiling and nodding.)

He's honestly a nice guy. After the license, registration, and ticket are in hand, we must have talked for another five-ten minutes. While handing me the ticket he says, "You've been really calm through this. Probably the calmest person I've pulled over all day! [long legal explanation of ticket and court and la la la]... And just going to point out something here, this fine is not as high as it could be. Since this is a work zone, it could be doubled but just applying a little common sense, as you can see, they're on a break or something (not a soul in sight and not even any heavy equipment anywhere - they weren't on a break, they were long gone on a Friday around noon) so I didn't add that. Some folks this morning got the full $380 or whatever and they weren't happy."

Yeah, "whatever". I think the median income is about $45k a year out here for the majority of folks. You just gave them a ticket as large as their monthly grocery bill on a empty construction site that's come and gone for almost six months. No wonder they're ****ed.
(Yay, filter. Again. Smile and nod.)

"Oh and note that besides the fine there's State fees." Oh yes. We have a law here that new taxes are illegal unless voted on, but the State Office of Information Technology figured out how to get around that a long time ago. It's a computer processing fee. So glad you guys added those cruiser printers. I know multiple people who work for OIT and they're rolling in money nowadays. Best thing that ever happened to them. You should see how much the statewide digital radio system cost. Motorola has the state bent over and is pumping hard. That's what the kids from Schaumburg do. (Yay more filter... Smile and nod.)

Well at least I have that going for me. I finally speak up, "I suspect that they're upset because this road has been under construction with different rules and stuff since October. I drive the speed limit and set my cruise everywhere, and as your noted on the ticket, I was doing 41. The usual speed limit here. I watch people blow by me speeding like maniacs every day of the week during my commute in the city."

Now it gets even weirder...

"Oh yeah. You're bait! Even my kid knows that now. He sees someone being passed who's doing the speed limit and he points and says, 'Look daddy! Bait!'"

Now I'm just speechless. I thank him for "keeping us all safe out here" and I decide to see how good his training is, I offer a handshake. (Hand in sight from the wheel to the window but still...) He shakes it. Bad training. Oh well. Just curious. I honestly offered the shake, and wasn't insincere about it, but I know he shouldn't have taken my hand. His backup is a looooong way off. He's got to be new. No wonder he drew traffic duty on an empty road at the far end of the county.

Anyway, more chit chat about the weather, "At least it's nice out!" and he says, "Oh if it was raining I would just sit in the car with my lights on.", great. Now I wish it had been raining. (Yay, filter!)

"Have a nice day, don't let this ruin your weekend.", and I'm off.

He wrote it up as a Suburban (it's a Yukon and well badged) and he typed in my ham radio plates and put "O" instead of "0", as usual. Which also means he ran the wrong plate and he had to type in he vehicle type because he couldn't figure out why my vehicle didn't come up on he new toys in the car. Yay technology. A dispatcher would have caught that. The computer just made him less safe. I could have had warrants. Might be why he asked the weird question about where he had seen the vehicle. Ha. Diplomatic plates! You saw me at the consulate. LOL. Well whatever. One less "hit" on those plates in the database somewhere. Fine by me.

Computers make everything better. Databases even more so. Dont'cha'know?

So... $169 to just auto-plea it and two points. Or I go waste a day in Court in August and roll the dice, which won't probably change a thing and may cost more.

Doing the math for how often I've seen LE on that road now, (once a year), I should just speed. I'm sure that's why everyone else does. But I won't.

37 gallons of Avgas and that assumes my insurance doesn't go up. And the world is safe from a guy doing 40 on an empty road with no construction going on.

Just typed it up for the fun of all the "filtered" thoughts. There were more.

Last edited:
What speed should you have been going?

What speed should you have been going?

25 I guess. Cop claimed the latest location of the small temporary sign was "1900 feet back that way", I never saw it. Probably lying in the ditch.

I thought he was awfully specific which usually indicates lying, but probably not in this case. I seriously doubt he paced it off. LOL.

The "fines doubled in work zone" sign was three miles back up the road.

I've always had good outcome every time I appeared in court. Even when I was dead wrong and deserved the citation, the judge always gave me something for showing up - reduction in points, reduction in fine, etc. I'll have to read the other thread you referenced about Colorado courts.

edit: and holy crap that is a lot of words by you!

I got pulled over for doing 55 in a 25 school zone.

Before I hear the "you deserved it" speeches, let me tell you that it was 2:30am.!!!

Real dedicated students in New Sommersville, Tx, to be in school at 2:30am.

I did get out of it.

Oh, I've gotten both also before. Usually reduction in fine. Fine reduced, pay the bailiff court fees equal to the reduction. LOL. No point if it isn't a complete removal of points. And I doubt a judge wil remove a couple of points in a construction zone. Think of the children!

They have children working construction sites??? :eek:

In Texas its 'When workers are present' for the construction zone. Does CO not work the same way? Shoulda taken some pictures of the deserted construction zone and gone to court.

Hint: It's not about "safety."

Its all Risk vs Reward.

Construction zones are never worth the risk. Still, sounds like you got stuck by a dumbass.

In Texas its 'When workers are present' for the construction zone. Does CO not work the same way? Shoulda taken some pictures of the deserted construction zone and gone to court.

Don't need pictures. He lowered the fine because no one was there. All the other tickets issued earlier in the day would show the higher fine.

No idea if CO says workers must be present, but that's probably why he did that. It then just shows as a 41 in a 25.

Don't need pictures. He lowered the fine because no one was there. All the other tickets issued earlier in the day would show the higher fine.

No idea if CO says workers must be present, but that's probably why he did that. It then just shows as a 41 in a 25.

there's a bunch of sections addressed but nothing mentions workers present, just "designated zone"

(c) (I) The penalties and surcharges imposed for speeding violations under
subsection (4) (a) (I) (L) of this section shall be doubled if a speeding violation occurs
within a maintenance, repair, or construction zone that is designated by the department of
transportation pursuant to section 42-4-614 (1) (a); except that the penalty for violating
section 42-4-1101 (1) or (8) (b) by twenty to twenty-four miles per hour over the
reasonable and prudent speed or over the maximum lawful speed limit of seventy-five
miles per hour shall be five hundred forty dollars.
(II) (A) The penalties and surcharges imposed for violations under subsubparagraphs
(C), (G), (H), (I), (J), (K), (N), and (O) of subparagraph (I) of paragraph
(a) of this subsection (4) shall be doubled if a violation occurs within a maintenance,
repair, or construction zone that is designated by the department of transportation
pursuant to section 42-4-614 (1) (a); except that the fines for violating sections 42-4-314,
42-4-610, 42-4-613, 42-4-706, 42-4-707, 42-4-708, 42-4-709, 42-4-710, 42-4-1011, 42-4-
1012, 42-4-1404, 42-4-1408, and 42-4-1414 shall not be doubled under this subparagraph
(II).

They have children working construction sites??? :eek:

You could probably get away with it. One or two guys to actually work. 7 or 8 kids to stand around and hold a sign. Probably get the same amount of work done as the typical construction crew.

I'd take a camera and film the drive just after with a time-stamp. If the sign is in a ditch, covered by bushes, whatever, I'd go to court. Constructions zones gotta be posted. If the sign is there, well I'd just pay up or maybe throw it in a ditch and drive by again.

Just for closure on the thread, I got so busy at work again, that I just decided to pay the damn thing and not bother with the charade of Colorado traffic courts. Wasting a nice August day would be regarded in the extreme.

Even including worst-case scenario on insurance, it'll mean not going out to a nice dinner four times.

"Phuck" it. :) But next time I'll ask the officer if I can make a legal U-turn to leave and go see if the damn sign is even there with the video rolling from departure to the sign.

And there probably won't be another "next time" anyway.

Did find out that the lovely pavement there cost $600K a mile. In another post going off of a press article I thought it was closer to $1M. Of course my "conservative" (RINO) County Commissioner thinks that's a great deal for the taxpayers - four miles of pavement over $2M and it didn't need to be paved anyway. Nobody moves out here and thinks they're in the city and roads are supposed to be paved.

Ick. The fake city style "civilization" is coming.

By the way, for the record I annoyed the hell out of all the speeders on I-70 again today. 55 is a lovely speed and the Yukon and I enjoy watching the blood pressure of everyone around us go nuts as they dart and weave to go faster. It's got to be one of the best forms of entertainment ever created.

I've always set my cruise at 9 over the limit, seems if you keep it under 10 over most cops don't bother.

If the signs were not there you should have fought it.

Just to be clear, you aren't one of those *******s that does the speed limit in the left lane, right?

If the signs were not there you should have fought it.

Just to be clear, you aren't one of those *******s that does the speed limit in the left lane, right?

No way to tell without doing a U-turn that day and driving back there. Might do that next time. Not really worth it. Court costs would have been higher than the ticket.

Gotta keep the shiny new(ish) "justice center" paid for. They're currently debating if they should refinance up to $8M from the original $1.5M. After costs, maybe there will be $25 left to put a dent in it. LOL.

I'm sure they'll be asking for more money soon. They always do.

I am like you and annoy the folks on the interstate because i hold it to 4 miles over the speed limit. Maybe you should move to Florida. I have never gotten a speeding ticket. I do know a friend who was visiting Colorado from Florida and got a ticket for changing lanes without a turn signal. I think Colorado traffic cops may be a bit strict.

By the way, for the record I annoyed the hell out of all the speeders on I-70 again today. 55 is a lovely speed and the Yukon and I enjoy watching the blood pressure of everyone around us go nuts as they dart and weave to go faster. It's got to be one of the best forms of entertainment ever created.

I am like you and annoy the folks on the interstate because i hold it to 4 miles over the speed limit. Maybe you should move to Florida. I have never gotten a speeding ticket. I do know a friend who was visiting Colorado from Florida and got a ticket for changing lanes without a turn signal. I think Colorado traffic cops may be a bit strict.

As long as neither of you are doing so in the left lane, what you're doing is entirely proper and if someone finds it annoying, that's their problem.

If you do as you've described in the left lane, failing to yield right of way to faster traffic, you're breaking the law and creating a much greater hazard.

But I assume such is not the case... right? :dunno:

As long as neither of you are doing so in the left lane, what you're doing is entirely proper and if someone finds it annoying, that's their problem.

If you do as you've described in the left lane, failing to yield right of way to faster traffic, you're breaking the law and creating a much greater hazard.

But I assume such is not the case... right? :dunno:

That claim is not entirely true in Colorado. There's been a lot of debate about left lane blockers and only limited legal action.

I forgot to answer the lane question. No. I stay as far right as possible.

I will however gladly move to any lane to the left to pass, if traffic in the right lanes is doing slower than the speed limit.

I also move over for emergency vehicles and others on the side of the road. That one ****es off some speeders but I really don't give a flying ... I'm not going to crowd folks working on the side of the road, and it's our law here anyway.

But no. You won't find me in the left lane for no reason. You'll also have to decide if you feel like passing on the two lanes out here if you just can't be bothered to go the speed limit.

If you tailgate I WILL suddenly have a cruise control malfunction. Darn thing just drops offline sometimes and the truck slows. I don't know why it does that. In the diesel with the exhaust brake active, it can be rather dramatic. :)

Sometimes when I have lots of time, I drive slow in the right hand lane just to enjoy the ride and scenery. But no matter how slow I drive, there always seems to someone slower.

I love it when people racing up the right hand lane get caught behind me. Ruins their whole strategy.

Used to drive low 70's(65 speed limit usually) in the middle lane, but it was always frustrating clicking off cruise for the folks driving in the high 60's. Can't beat em join em. Now I drive middle lane high 60's, slightly better gas mileage, slightly longer travel times. Laughing all the way at the low 70's drivers getting agitated and working harder for a small gain in time.

I have, once or twice, passed on the shoulder, in the "merge triangle", or moved into the acceleration lane/deceleration lane in order to pass two to three people "drag racing" under the speed limit for the previous mile.

Drop it into third, open it all the way up. I'm around them in less than a second.

In VT, the state speed limit unless otherwise marked is 50 mph. The drivers who frustrate me the most are those who go 35 mph on 2-lane roads regardless of the speed limit. Very few places to legally pass on the winding roads up here.

In VT, the state speed limit unless otherwise marked is 50 mph. The drivers who frustrate me the most are those who go 35 mph on 2-lane roads regardless of the speed limit. Very few places to legally pass on the winding roads up here.

That is what the Death Ray is for. Oh, you don't have one?

I have, once or twice, passed on the shoulder, in the "merge triangle", or moved into the acceleration lane/deceleration lane in order to pass two to three people "drag racing" under the speed limit for the previous mile.

Drop it into third, open it all the way up. I'm around them in less than a second.

Reminds me of a time when I was driving on one of the local freeways that had two lanes in each direction, during a high traffic time of day. I was driving well under the speed limit in the right hand lane (55 in a 65 zone, I think), when I noticed a guy immediately to my left driving the same speed. This was holding up a line of cars behind us, so I slowed down to open up space between us so people could get by. The jerk slowed down too, matching my speed and position, and when we got down to something like 35 or 45, it was obvious that he was intentionally blocking people. It really made me mad to be used in that way, so I floored it, and since the pickup I was driving has very good acceleration when empty, I was able to zoom away from him and spoil his sick little game. (I hope the guys behind me appreciated it!)

I swear that some people drive like they're mentally ill. :crazy:

Most people drive like it's some sort of competition. It's always fun to smile and wave at them at the off ramp stop light.

Back