It can blow at any seam!

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
In my case, near the belly button. My AME found an hernia during my FAA physical last month. He fixed it today. During the physical, he indicated I could leave it alone, but it could estrangulate later- probably the worst possible time. I chose to fix it.

I get at least 5 days off from work.

It wasn't too bad. No mesh needed, just a couple of stiches- he worked through only a small incision. The doctor had a pretty nurse assisting him but I hardly saw her due to anesthesia. I have a prescription for hydrocodone/acetamenophen, but I haven't felt the need to take a pill yet. I'm off the ice- just a very dull pain from deep inside.

This is my first sick time in 25 years. Now I get something to report to the FAA.

Last edited:
In my case, near the belly button. My AME found an hernia during my FAA physical last month. He fixed it today. During the physical, he indicated I could leave it alone, but it could estrangulate later- probably the worst possible time. I chose to fix it.

I get at least 5 days off from work.

It wasn't too bad. No mesh needed, just a couple of stiches- he worked through only a small incision. Thedoctor had a pretty nurse assisting him but I hardly saw her due to anesthesia. I have a prescription for hydrocodone/acetamenophen, but I haven't felt the need to take a pill yet. I'm off the ice- just a very dull pain from deep inside.

This is my first sick time in 25 years. Now I get something to report to the FAA.

If your AME did the surgery I'd consider it reported.

ditto here (except I got the mesh reenforcement) a number of years ago. Reported once, check the box and write in "previously reported - no change" IIRC every other year after.

Yuck- had some bleeding today...called the doctor, told it was normal. Went away later. Pain is still down.

Dr. Bruce- thanks much!
Jason- thanks for you good wishes!

I can sit down now at a computer for more than a minute or two. I feel less like a failed seppuku attempt than I have in days. I'm glad I live in times where they only make a small incision.

Back to work today. No pain or anything, but I lifted nothing. I was told to lift nothing more than 10 pounds for the next few weeks.

I guess that cough check is worth it after all !
Glad your well I sure know how bad that sucks ... in college fresh year doing power cleans at football camp...they missed a kicker for a while

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back