Issues with Abbott 14 day Libre glucose monitoring system?

jonvcaples

Pre-takeoff checklist
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Sasquatch
Most of the time this system gives accurate readings and the trend data is super helpful. But there are times when the readings, especially at or the below about 80 when huge errors are present. This seems to happen mostly after about 2100. When I draw blood and use my old system it shows my blood glucose level up to 30 higher. Since I don't have any of the symptoms of a hypoglycemic event I usually just keep going and make a note (will discuss this with MD at next appointment).

Anyone else have similar experience?

Thanks,

Jon

I would call the manufacturer, they are very good about replacing glucose machines, usually next day. I don’t have much experience with or dispensing libre machines because most insurance companies don’t cover them.

Last edited:
CGMs, and probably the Libre, don't measure BG directly from your blood; they measure using the glop (interstitial fluid) 'twixt the cells under your skin. That fluid reacts slower to changes in BG, ands as a result, the sensor value trails the blood glucose level, and when the BG level is changing fast, the spread can get large.

Some systems, like Dexcom, don't recommend 'calibrating' unless the spread is 30 points or greater. Could be your BG is changing fast at that hour, based on whatever med you're using to control it, the interval since the last dose, and your last meal. Accuracy and the new monitors shouldn't be used in the same sentence unless your BG has been very stable for a while. The trend data on CGMs is more valuable than the absolute value displayed.

Back