Issue with Noise Gate on passenger headset

aanderson81

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
aanderson81
I havent done much troubleshooting with this yet, however my last 2 flights I have noticed that the passenger's headset is quite sensitive and the noise gate will remain open quite considerably with normal cabin noise. The first time I didnt pay it much mind as it was just drilling a few holes in the sky and wasn't up for all that long, however over the weekend I went on a longer flight and the gate just didnt want to close. It got to the point where I didnt even want to use flight following because it was more of a distraction than a benefit.

My question is this. Is it an issue with the headset, or the intercom system in the plane. Based on my limited understanding of audio technology I would assume that the noise gate would be built into the intercom, not the headset. But I figured I would ask to make sure its not an issue with my headset before contacting the FBO about the plane. The headset is a David Clark H10-76XL ANR headset with a GA conversion kit. Besides the noise gate, the headset seems to otherwise be working loud and clear.

Does the audio panel/intercom system have an adjustable squelch control? That's where I'd start. Some are automatic, and could be misadjusted. Others are automatic but can be reset by the pilot.

If you tell us what type of audio panel is in the plane, we could be more helpful.

Russ is correct, the ability to adjust the passenger squelch versus the pilot is a feature of many intercoms. Using mismatched headsets (especially Dave Clark with other non-Dave Clark) without independent intercom channels is HIGHLY problematic.

These guys are all over it! The one thing I want you to check that most people miss, is the microphone windscreen. If it is missing or damaged, your headset pickup is working as it should but you are using an intercom with only a single squelch adjustment, that may be your problem. I call it the $5 fix and it's gotten me a few free rides. :)

Try a new windscreen and see if that helps. (Preferably ones made without formaldehyde and real acoustic foam) Yes I mean ours.

I havent done much troubleshooting with this yet, however my last 2 flights I have noticed that the passenger's headset is quite sensitive and the noise gate will remain open quite considerably with normal cabin noise. The first time I didnt pay it much mind as it was just drilling a few holes in the sky and wasn't up for all that long, however over the weekend I went on a longer flight and the gate just didnt want to close. It got to the point where I didnt even want to use flight following because it was more of a distraction than a benefit.

My question is this. Is it an issue with the headset, or the intercom system in the plane. Based on my limited understanding of audio technology I would assume that the noise gate would be built into the intercom, not the headset. But I figured I would ask to make sure its not an issue with my headset before contacting the FBO about the plane. The headset is a David Clark H10-76XL ANR headset with a GA conversion kit. Besides the noise gate, the headset seems to otherwise be working loud and clear.

Were they wearing glasses? I find that the cup seal being breeched is a typical cause for this as well as mic placement being too close to breathing.

These guys are all over it! The one thing I want you to check that most people miss, is the microphone windscreen. If it is missing or damaged, your headset pickup is working as it should but you are using an intercom with only a single squelch adjustment, that may be your problem. I call it the $5 fix and it's gotten me a few free rides. :)

Try a new windscreen and see if that helps. (Preferably ones made without formaldehyde and real acoustic foam) Yes I mean ours.

This is a brand new headset. The windscreen is in great shape.

As for the radio its a garmin SL40 i believe. I am not aware of there being a seperate intercom and i believe it is handled by the SL40.

Both headsets are DC.

Were they wearing glasses? I find that the cup seal being breeched is a typical cause for this as well as mic placement being too close to breathing.

I tried having them move the mic as well as put their hand in front of their face on either side of the mic to see if that would close the gate, it did not. The only way to reliably close the gate was to lower the engine RPM and decrease the cabin noise.

Maybe I will pull out the manual on the SL40 and see how the adjustment is made on the radio

I tried having them move the mic as well as put their hand in front of their face on either side of the mic to see if that would close the gate, it did not. The only way to reliably close the gate was to lower the engine RPM and decrease the cabin noise.

Maybe I will pull out the manual on the SL40 and see how the adjustment is made on the radio

If you switch headsets between right and left, does the problem move with the headset?

If you switch headsets between right and left, does the problem move with the headset?

I dont believe so. I know I've used that headset when I've left my flight bag in our other car before. I "think" I used it between the 2 times I've had a passenger.

Like i said, i didnt have much time to troubleshoot, i just figured i would get some background before looking into it more. I think the issue is the squelch level is set wrong between the 2. I found the setting in the garmin manual

I dont believe so. I know I've used that headset when I've left my flight bag in our other car before. I "think" I used it between the 2 times I've had a passenger.

Like i said, i didnt have much time to troubleshoot, i just figured i would get some background before looking into it more. I think the issue is the squelch level is set wrong between the 2. I found the setting in the garmin manual

That's your first diagnostic test because it tells you whether to look at the headset/operator or the airplane. Answer that question definitively before proceeding.

That's your first diagnostic test because it tells you whether to look at the headset/operator or the airplane. Answer that question definitively before proceeding.

Will do, next time I will probably just use that headset and maybe swap between inputs and see if there is a noticeable difference

Will do, next time I will probably just use that headset and maybe swap between inputs and see if there is a noticeable difference

Bring 2 headsets and try them both in both locations. If both have the same problem in one location and not the other, the headsets have been positively eliminated.

Back