Issue with left hand/thumb

U

Unregistered

This evening I have had an issue develop with my left hand/thumb which I have never encountered before. My thumb is basically "stuck" and won't completely "open." If I make a "C" with my index finger and thumb so I have about 300 degrees worth of a circle, my thumb is basically stuck in that position. I can curl my thumb tighter but can not open my thumb to hitch-hike or ring a doorbell. I do not have any tingling in my hand or arm like you sometimes get if you lay on your hand or arm for an extended period of time. I have sensation in the thumb and still have enough strength that I can still grip a soda can, but feel weakness in it. If I attempt to use my thumb to send a text on my phone it doesn't feel quite right, and if I try and hold my laptop with just my left hand, I can feel weakness in the wrist and slight pain about three finger widths up the outside of arm - about where a watch face would be. (I don't wear a wristwatch.) I can move the thumb inwards from that position with no problems with full motion from that point inwards. But nothing will allow it to fully open without help from an object or other hand.

If I force the thumb open with my other hand, it doesn't hurt to do so, but it just goes back to the curled position after the pressure from opening it is released. I have tried various things to get movement back like I have when your hand falls asleep for the past hour, but to no avail. It doesn't hurt, its like my brain just forgot how to open the thumb up. I've suffered no recent trauma to the thumb, arm, or hand.

Any ideas on what might the cause of the problem may be?

Under 40, physically fit male.

could be nothing or could be something. Go to and ER if its nothing you wasted some time if its something you will be glad you did.

I spent many years in EMS. Go to the ER. There are several possible causes, there's no way to tell via the internet. Don't mess around. Get it checked out, ASAP.

Without a focused hx or exam: trigger thumb, nodule on flexor tendon can cause locking or catching. If painful and tender on outside of wrist, near where watch would go: deQuervain's tenosynovitis. See Finklestein's test. Not enough info in post to determine without a better HX, pe, etc. Good luck.

For example, thumb extension is largely due to the EPL muscle, worked by the radial nerve. DX depends on function of other muscles also innervated by the radial nve. Need better history and thorough exam.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back