Issuance after Cirrhosis diagnosis

U

Unregistered

I was recently diagnosed with Cirrhosis caused by Non-Alcoholic fatty liver tissue disease, so drinking was not a factor. My liver is still functioning, and I am early stage and have none of the complications usually associated with Chirrhosis, such as ascites, encephalopathy, or varices. My last student Class III was issued in 2004 (no problems back then).I quit flying short of obtaining my license, and although I hope to live for many more years, my "bucket list" now includes finally getting my private. If I give honest answers on the medical application, what are the chances the FAA will issue to me? Any input would be appreciated.

You will have to show that you are child's class 1 and that you disease has stopped progressing. Think, rebiopsy if your transaminases are not in accord with the CACI worksheet- ALT AST Alb and Protime all within <110% of normal.

You'll need a good long letter from an authoritative hepatologist. This one can be tough to get.

Thank you. It figures the FAA would show the bureaucratic wisdom to red flag a condition where the individual is no more prone to blackouts, or other in-flight incapacitations than a "healthy" pilot.

Or you could consider sport pilot. Also, if that 3rd class driver's license medical passes, you won't need to get a medical.

I would procrastinate a bit. Or if you start, start working towards your private with the understanding that you might end up sport pilot.

Thanks for the input. I have thought about the Sport option, and yes I will probably put the Third Class off for a bit and see what happens.

Being a retired federal employee, I normally try to champion the efforts that most government agencies make on behalf of the public. And my hat's off to the doc and his response, because I know what he's trying to tell me. This one is just frustrating because, the expense of trying to obtain a clearance will be prohibitive for me, and when I ask myself the question "would you fly with someone with this condition?", the answer is yes, because like me they are out there driving in rush hour traffic, performing surgeries, confronting suspects, and doing other types of high risk activities while they work to control their cirrhosis.

Thank you. It figures the FAA would show the bureaucratic wisdom to red flag a condition where the individual is no more prone to blackouts, or other in-flight incapacitations than a "healthy" pilot.

That comment reflects an incomplete understanding of the cirrhotic liver and the complications. Hepatic encephalopathy is real, and its insidious. Hence the reason they want your Child-Pugh score to be low and your disease process to be stable.

Folks with this can be uncharacteristically brittle. Its not even about blacking out or sudden incapacitation. The FAA doesn't want you exercising ADM while neurologically impaired - thats why 8 hours bottle to throttle.. thats why hours to days after medications that affect neuro function, and thats why they set the bar low for liver failure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back