Israeli planes attack German warship

Anthony said:
If true, I wonder what they were thinking?

My guess would be that they were thinking of the same thing as when in 1983 they fired on my position in Lebanon. :eek::mad::target:

But to be fair that was the only time I was fired upon by someone other than the Shiite militias.

Later the IDF told us personally that they were trying to distract us to run some teams into Lebanon for purposes that I think we can all guess. Which was *probably* the same reason they fired on a UN position this past Lebanon conflict.

The Liberty incident was different, http://www.ussliberty.org/. That may have been because the Israeli government was afraid that they were going to be caught doing something in violation of international law. That claim has been asserted by some. I do not think we will know the truth for some time.

smigaldi said:
The Liberty incident was different, http://www.ussliberty.org/. That may have been because the Israeli government was afraid that they were going to be caught doing something in violation of international law. That claim has been asserted by some. I do not think we will know the truth for some time.

Yes, that's it, the Liberty. Well, if they keep firing on the Germans, they'll have Wehrmacht troops on the ground in there and less support from many sources including the U.S. I'd hate to see that happen.

Anthony said:
Yes, that's it, the Liberty. Well, if they keep firing on the Germans, they'll have Wehrmacht troops on the ground in there and less support from many sources including the U.S. I'd hate to see that happen.

Germany got rid of the Wehrmacht in '45, you know. :yes:

Anthony said:
This sounds eerily familiar to the incident that happened to a U.S. warship in the area years ago. If true, I wonder what they were thinking?

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/25/061025190043.vjnw06sz.html

Uh Pay back:dunno:

Actually the article says the Israelies denied it. So until we hear more I'm not inclined to take what the Germans say as gospel. I'll be there in one week and Alon and I will check it out and report back to you.

AdamZ said:
Uh Pay back:dunno:

Actually the article says the Israelies denied it. So until we hear more I'm not inclined to take what the Germans say as gospel. I'll be there in one week and Alon and I will check it out and report back to you.

Ha! Really Adam, you going to Israel? Yes I want a full report! If it is payback and I doubt that, they should put the past behind them and realize Germany is now a friend in the world. Your right, it may not have happened, but Israel seems to have a history of this stuff even with the U.S.

tomcat said:
Germany got rid of the Wehrmacht in '45, you know. :yes:

You really believe that? :rolleyes:

Hi,

The IDF officially denied any involvement in that case...

The IDF blunders now and then, but ( this may surprise you) mistakes are generally admitted and the army usually apologizes when that happens.

The German Bundeswehr and the IDF actually maintain close relations. The most advanced Israeli submarines (Dolphin Class) were manufactured in Germany.

Surprisingly, the Israelis (despite the horrors of the past) respect Germany.
The French, on the other hand, are not very popular (to say the least).

I still have a lot of difficulty believing that your position was deliberately attacked by Israeli troops in 1983.
I served in Lebanon during that period and can positively affirm that no IDF officer in his right mind would take such an idiotic decision.

What's more, if it was perpetrated during some "secret" operation - why would the Israelis admit it and tell you about it ?

America is Israel's ONLY ally - (and always have been) - we do quite a lot of stupid things - but doing something THAT stupid ?

Anthony said:
You really believe that? :rolleyes:

Why yes, I actually know and believe that.

:yes:

I am a German citizen and have spent the first 30 years of my life in Germany.

:D

Do you know something I don't?

:dunno:

Skip Miller said:
Anthony, it is a semantic game. Look up Wehrmacht in Wikipedia.

-Skip

Actually I think the transition from Wehrmacht to Bundeswehr and the 10 years inbetween are a bit more than just semantics. Even the defined role of the Bundeswehr according to the German Basic Law (similar to a constitution) is quite a bit different from that of the typical army.

tomcat said:
Actually I think the transition from Wehrmacht to Bundeswehr and the 10 years inbetween are a bit more than just semantics. Even the defined role of the Bundeswehr according to the German Basic Law (similar to a constitution) is quite a bit different from that of the typical army.

I know, I was being facetious. I'm glad to see Germany stepping up as our ally in these world trouble spots. I think the role of the army is changing to be more "normal". Japan's should change too as we shouldn't have to be the only supplier of troops in Asia also.

Anthony said:
I know, I was being facetious. I'm glad to see Germany stepping up as our ally in these world trouble spots. I think the role of the army is changing to be more "normal". Japan's should change too as we shouldn't have to be the only supplier of troops in Asia also.

Even if the Japanese change their constitution to allow a more active role for their army do not expec thtem to be ablke to deploy in Aisa. The idea, for instance, of Japanese force in South Korea would never even come to the table for discussion. The S.K.'s would never allow it. That place still has almost no Japanese appliances or cars, the S.K.'s still harbor great resentment over their treatment during WW2 by the hands of the Japanese. The same goes for a lot of other countries over their. Japan is still the bad guy in many an Asian's mind.

Anthony said:

Thanks. I believe Germany owes eternal gratitude to the allied forces that put an end to World War 2 in Europe, and with its new self-awareness (re-)discovered since reunification Germany needs to step up to the plate and stand by America's side. :cheers:

tomcat said:
Thanks. I believe Germany owes eternal gratitude to the allied forces that put an end to World War 2 in Europe, and with its new self-awareness (re-)discovered since reunification Germany needs to step up to the plate and stand by America's side. :cheers:

Please have them SEND MORE BEER :yes:

More info. Still no confirmation that it actually happened. It is unlcear if the German ships were actually the Graf Spee, Bismark and Tirpitz as reported by the Isralei Air Force.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/26/061026152831.ucdu3m32.html

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Please have them SEND MORE BEER :yes:

More info. Still no confirmation that it actually happened. Is is unlcear if the German ships were actually the Graf Spee, Bismark and Tirpitz as reported by the Isralei Air Force.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/26/061026152831.ucdu3m32.html

Hey, since I now live in TX, I can't have "them" ship any bier to you. I can however beg my Lufthansa pilot buddy to bring bier when he comes to DFW on the LH 438 flight.

I have started making my own bier since I moved here ... ;)

tomcat said:
I have started making my own bier since I moved here ... ;)

You mean you can't find any decent beer here? I really liked the Kolch style I had in Cologne (Koln to you).

Anthony said:
You mean you can't find any decent beer here? I really liked the Kolch style I had in Cologne (Koln to you).

Actually I have found quite a few biers here that I really like.

Shiner (TX) makes a really good Koelsch ...

I just sometimes enjoy making my own bier, dunno why. I guess it's the same caveman mentality that will drive me one day to build my own airplane.

tomcat said:
Actually I have found quite a few biers here that I really like.

Shiner (TX) makes a really good Koelsch ...

I just sometimes enjoy making my own bier, dunno why. I guess it's the same caveman mentality that will drive me one day to build my own airplane.

Shiner - about an hour down the road from me. Much, much better than Lone Star. I usually have some Shiner in the house.

"Beer: you don't buy it, you rent it"

wsuffa said:
Shiner - about an hour down the road from me. Much, much better than Lone Star. I usually have some Shiner in the house.

"Beer: you don't buy it, you rent it"

I like all the Shiner Biers, except for their mainstream Shiner Bock. It's not a true bock bier, and it gives me a nasty headache, even if I drink only 1. :rolleyes:

Back