Island In The Sky - John Wayne

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Anyone catch the John Wayne movie on TCM tonight "Island In The Sky" ?

Rescuers ( Lloyd Nolan , Walter Abel ) scour uncharted arctic expanses for a missing plane, while its downed crew ( John Wayne ) struggles to survive

The film follows a pilot and crew of a World War II-era C-47 Skytrain (the military version of the DC-3) who try to survive after a forced emergency landing on a frozen lake in the uncharted wildlands of Labrador, Canada. The pilot, Dooley, is a former airline pilot who like many others was pressed into duty hauling war supplies across the northern route to England. Weather, combined with the difficulties of navigating the far north, have forced the plane to land in an unknown location. After finding a lake for a landing field Dooley must keep his men alive in deadly conditions while waiting for rescue. Fellow airmen (Lloyd Nolan, James Arness, Andy Devine, Paul Fix) are determined to find them before hunger and the arctic winter do them in. Wellman provides internal narrative for the stoic characters. There is tension and a fear-filled meeting among the search pilots when no one is quite sure about what to do, since a wrong decision could doom the missing crew.

The High and the Mighty is the second feature......I'm headed into work to check on my bridge crew.:(

Awesome movie. I got choked up when the Duke gets all choked up when the first pass of searchers didn't seen them. If you watch closely there was so much emotion in that scene, it was like being there...stranded.

Lyold Nolan actually had hair.

The High & Mighty...how many times have I wanted to clock my co-pilot.... Is that a warning or a threat?

There is a reference to the actual Clipper routes...Jaun ****er Trippe actually arranged to have ships marking the course. Without those ships the route would have been very much impossible.

Awesome movie. [...]

There is a reference to the actual Clipper routes...Jaun ****er Trippe actually arranged to have ships marking the course. Without those ships the route would have been very much impossible.
Agreed, great movies. Juan Who? :dunno:(Honestly, I don't know.)

Back