Is this worth it?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Should I subscribe to IFR, the newsletter? Any subscriber opinions?

wangmyers said:

I'm not a subscriber, but I rarely fly in an IFR environment. You seem to like to have ALL the information sometimes to the point of too much, so unless the magazine is a total dud which I doubt it is since I assume you've already seen an issue or two to be asking about it here, it's probably worth while for you to have as long as you have the time to read it. If you get one worthwhile thing out of it an issue, heck even a half year, it's probably woth the subscription rate.

wangmyers said:

Lots of IFR redundancy through a great little mag. The free ones are definately worth it.

Its ok. I found some information in it that was thought by some with more experience than me to be potentially dangerous advice. Some articles were good some very difficult to read. Its kind of a Toss up IMHO.

wangmyers said:
I subscribe to IFR the magazine. Like Henning said, even if you lean one useful tip, it is worth the subscription. Mostly, it makes you think and gives perspective from other POV which you may not consider. Any errors are promptly corrected in the next issue. Reader feedback doesn't let the editors slouch and their are some damn fine IFR pilots among the subscribers.

My local flying club also subscribes and has many years worth accessable to all. Even still, I choose to continue my sub because of convenience when I want to revisit any particular subject.

Last edited:
wangmyers said:

I subscribe to IFR & IFR Refresher from the good folks in Palm Coast, FL. I love the quizzes, the articles and commentary. It's not perfect, but it's good stuff. Bonus, no advertising. :)

jdwatson said:
I subscribe to IFR & IFR Refresher from the good folks in Palm Coast, FL. I love the quizzes, the articles and commentary. It's not perfect, but it's good stuff. Bonus, no advertising. :)
Just a point of clarification, the operation in Palm Coast is just the fulfillment house. It processes the subscription requests and prints the labels. The owner, Belvoir, is based in Greenwich, Connecticut, and each title is produced by an editor who is an independent contractor. They are spread all over the country. And while the subscription price may seem a bit high, it's necessary so Belvoir's owner can feed his Gulfstream.

Signed,
A former Belvoir contract editor

BTW, I don't think IFR is nearly the pub it was when Paul Berge was the editor.

Thanks for the opinions, guys!

I've been a subscriber for many years. I like it.

Ben,

I have several older issues you are welcome to. We'll trade whenever we do the headset thing.

wangmyers said:

Ben:

I like it!

Very informative for me.

Terry

I get both and enjoy them a lot. I think "everything" helps. Its just that simple.
Julian Codding
Oklahoma

Like someone else said, IFR is the only mag (of the many that I subscribe to) that I usually read every article in. I think of this mag as an important part of my efforts to keep current, because reading it (particularly the more complicated articles about unusual procedures etc.) forces me mentally to get back in the plane on the gauges. It doesn't seem so pricey when you think of it in this way.

Also, you almost always learn a few things that are quite important or at least very interesting that you didn't know before - not so hard for me because I'm a low time IFR pilot but I suspect still true for the more experienced. Some of the articles are quite recondite, which I see as a good thing. I've been reading IFR for over 2 years, starting long before I got my IR, and have every issue saved in a folder. This is a resource that I have gone back to a number of times since I got my rating, either when some specific issue crops up that's dealt with in an article or just to turn over the pages as a general refresher.

I'm thinking of ditching one or two of my aviation subscriptions, but IFR won't be one of them. IMHO some other mags (that shall remain nameless) have too many articles that your typical GA pilot can't relate to enough, e.g. yet another review of some new megadollar Gulfstream or whatever. It's a fine line for the editors to walk, I can understand. But that would be a subject for another thread.

Last edited:
Back