Is this what they mean by simulated IMC?

I saw this picture a few years ago. Apparently, someone touched off the foam suppressant. Those are a couple of jets hidden under all that foam.

silver-eagle said:
I saw this picture a few years ago. Apparently, someone touched off the foam suppressant. Those are a couple of jets hidden under all that foam.

:confused: :confused: It takes an awful lot of AFFF to get that deep, plus you typically have to hook the cubitainer or bucket to the nozzle and turn on the fire hose, and thats several cubitainers or buckets worth. I'd suspect more that Photoshop was involved.

This is Hanger C at Concord Regional Airport (KJQF) circa May 1999. The Falcon accross the way belongs to Ricky Rudd. I don't remember who owned the airplane in the foreground. The hanger and the fire suppression system (four very large foam guns IIRC) were new and had a very bad habit of malfunctioning in one form or another. It was only funny the first time.

Fast n' Furious said:
This is Hanger C at Concord Regional Airport (KJQF) circa May 1999. The Falcon accross the way belongs to Ricky Rudd. I don't remember who owned the airplane in the foreground. The hanger and the fire suppression system (four very large foam guns IIRC) were new and had a very bad habit of malfunctioning in one form or another. It was only funny the first time.

Crap, that was an automated AFFF system? Egads. What do you have to do to a turbine after it gets soaked with AFFF?

An on the house wash and wash followed by a gratis compressor wash for the folks without the plugs and other assorted handware on. Beyond that, not too much.

I see with a quick google search that AFFF is advertised as non-corrosive. I thought I recall from my long-forgotten USN shipboard firefighting training in the 70s that the foam then was quite corrosive... bad memory or new technology?

Back