Is this video real or ?

It sure looks like it. Stick was tied back with the seatbelts, notice the angle on the elevator. Good strong wind from the front with an LSA, this could happen!

It sure looks like it. Stick was tied back with the seatbelts, notice the angle on the elevator. Good strong wind from the front with an LSA, this could happen!

Why wouldn't the drag component simply cause the aircraft to be blown backwards as soon as it leaves the ground?

Why wouldn't the drag component simply cause the aircraft to be blown backwards as soon as it leaves the ground?
Presumably the drag force is small relative to the lift force as long as the plane has a reasonable angle of attack. As the plane lofts, the nose rises, the angle of attack increases, lift decreases and induced drag increases.
-harry

I see what you're saying, Steven, but I still think it's real, if for no other reason than the fact that faking it would be very difficult and have no material benefit.

By the way, your sig is brilliance! :thumbsup:

As soon as the drag over comes the friction of the tires on the ground the aircraft should start moving rearward. yet it does not "Twice"

Watch a leaf, as soon as it is off the ground, it moves horizontally.

The more lift you have, the more drag you have, that aircraft should have started to move horizontally as soon as the wheels lost contact with the ground.

The only time I saw the mains lift without significant rearward movement, the tail was also in contact with the ground - giving a friction stop at the tail.

Speculation on some other boards about this video that there was a turbine aircraft doing a runup in front of the piston single, and it was caused by jetblast.

It looks real enough, but WHY was there a camera just magically shooting THAT plane at THAT time?

As soon as the drag over comes the friction of the tires on the ground the aircraft should start moving rearward. yet it does not "Twice"

Watch a leaf, as soon as it is off the ground, it moves horizontally.

The more lift you have, the more drag you have, that aircraft should have started to move horizontally as soon as the wheels lost contact with the ground.

That plane has a lot more inertial forces to overcome than a leaf.

For the same wind force, an object with a large mass will accelerate much slower than an object with little mass.

Assuming it's real....here's a bigger question.....for insurance puproses, does that classify as 'aircraft in motion'???

That plane has a lot more inertial forces to overcome than a leaf.

For the same wind force, an object with a large mass will accelerate much slower than an object with little mass.

Either will start accelerating as soon as the friction with the ground is over come, that aircraft went up, and back down in the same place twice.

I would expect the aircraft to bounce up as angle of attack is increased, but jump the chocks backwards the first time it got that high, then start moving backwards each time the aircraft gets light. until it gets enough wind to climb then go over backwards when lift is lost at the highest angle of attack is reached and the wind acts upon the bottom of the wings it would a sail. or simply move backwards.

Remember the elevator is secured full up. it would have tried to do a loop backwards, not level off at 10+- feet. I feel it would have simply nosed up until the tail struck the ground, then go over backwards.

Last edited:
Assuming it's real....here's a bigger question.....for insurance puproses, does that classify as 'aircraft in motion'???

No, the flight starts as soon as the engine is started for the intended purpose of flight. this would be considered a ground accident, if the costs are enough to qualify. and the last operator is at fault for not securing the aircraft properly after the last usage.

Here's another version, which shows the camera id number (definitely a security camera) and more detail. You can definitely see blowing debris and wind, a rope off the left tie down being blown around, and the right tie down rope actually being secured, then snapping as the plane lifts off. I think it's genuine.

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blog/post/718502/plane-blown-away-by-wind/

I think it's in Russia or somewhere over there.

Looking at the second video, it does seem to be affecting other things..you can see dust blowing and some of the trash in the background flutters.

Also, that airplane was indeed actually tied down (with ropes) and may explain why it doesn't go backwards right away. You can see it lift straight up and then the ropes part and it goes backward.

I'd agree with Troy - it's real

... Also, that airplane was indeed actually tied down (with ropes) and may explain why it doesn't go backwards right away...
Hmmm, interesting. Hard to see, but it does look like the wings are tied down. Looks like the left tie-down breaks first, the left wing rises up, then the right tie-down breaks and the right wing rises up and then the plane begins moving backwards.

The backwards movement is delayed briefly by that right tie-down, and the plane lofts up vertically into the air like a kite, until that right tie-down snaps.
-harry

Sorry Jim I didn't see it..

No problem at all, since I've made the same sort of posting mistake and need to reserve the right to do it again!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the video is real and probably not a staged event. Looks like too an nice airplane to wreck for a 30 second video. Only question is whether the wind is natural or from another aircraft doing a run-up.

No problem at all, since I've made the same sort of posting mistake and need to reserve the right to do it again!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the video is real and probably not a staged event. Looks like too an nice airplane to wreck for a 30 second video. Only question is whether the wind is natural or from another aircraft doing a run-up.

We don't see the aircraft being wrecked, or did I miss some thing again?

I think it is a model, on a string or sumptin.

We don't see the aircraft being wrecked, or did I miss some thing again?

I think it is a model, on a string or sumptin.
Looked like it was a security camera pointed someplace- I suspect no one was watching the camera when the incident happened and therefore didn't point it to see where the plane went. I suspect the tape was reviewed after the owner came back and asked WTF happened to my plane?!

It could be staged, but I've seen big sheets of plywood take a similar flight path when a thunderstorm rolled in. As the video ended the plane was already coming back down.

I read elsewhere that a jet running up may have been the "wind", as Jim mentioned.

Back