Is this safe flying?

It's kind of like asking if a puffer fish is safe eating...

Myself, I was impressed with the vast selection of emergency landing spots available to them in the unlikely event their Rotax engine stopped making noise.

-John

I've seen at least one similar video of a Cub doing a takeoff like that without the engine running at all.

Easy peasy. The pilot was already in the airplane. James Bond had to catch his flight:

As long as you don't bust the tail going over the edge, I'd say it's all good clean fun.

I think a lot of the dive was for the camera. Watch the elevator. His tail is up, 2 engines running strong in a light plane, didn't need to dive that far. Sure is dramatic though.

He looks safe doing it.

He knows what hes doing, just like flying IFR looks unsafe for a VFR pilot.

Just a different type of skill set

I think a lot of the dive was for the camera. Watch the elevator. His tail is up, 2 engines running strong in a light plane, didn't need to dive that far. Sure is dramatic though.

Similar to this picture taken of BD Maule coming out of the hangar. It's dramatic and great advertisement but when I went to the Maule factory I saw that the hangar is about 600 feet long and open, with large tarmac areas at both ends.

clearshangar.jpg

Not to be a spoiler but Bedford was a little guy and he probably had about 5 gallons of fuel on board when he did this. Still, it was one heck of a shot. :rolleyes:

It's kind of like asking if a puffer fish is safe eating...

He looks safe doing it.

He knows what hes doing, just like flying IFR looks unsafe for a VFR pilot.

Just a different type of skill set

That's what I'm saying. People do it, they live, and they do it again. I can think of hundreds of scenarios I could be in as a pilot that i wouldn't want to be in vs that one.

No fatalities - check
No injuries - check
No damage - check
plane can be used again - check
People on the ground not endangered - check

Safe flying. leave citizens alone.

I've seen at least one similar video of a Cub doing a takeoff like that without the engine running at all.

I think you are thinking of the video "DEAD STICK TAKEOFF" the plane isn't a cub it is a Highlander, it is on YouTube.

Last edited:
Back