Is this part of the reason why we have pilot medicals?

No. We have pilot physicals because the regulatory agency requires them for some, but not all, aviation operations.

Despite the fact that your premise has nothing to do with the reason for pilot medical regulations, let me give you something to consider.

Think of it differently as it relates to KPIT. In 2016, there were an average of 22,766 passengers per day. Add in all the employees, etc. Does a dozen (or even dozens) of medical "emergencies" of varying severities sound like much for a 23,000+ town? Nothing to see here.

Fish_tricks.gif

Despite the fact that your premise has nothing to do with the reason for pilot medical regulations, let me give you something to consider.

Think of it differently as it relates to KPIT. In 2016, there were an average of 22,766 passengers per day. Add in all the employees, etc. Does a dozen (or even dozens) of medical "emergencies" of varying severities sound like much for a 23,000+ town? Nothing to see here.
Change the venue....how many ambulances do you see on the streets every day? Does this mean we should require medicals for all drivers?

Change the venue....how many ambulances do you see on the streets every day? Does this mean we should require medicals for all drivers?

Well if an ambulance driver suffers a heart attack, there's a good chance they'll all survive. If an air ambulance pilot suffers a heart attack in flight, they're done. Only question is, will a Class II prevent an air ambulance pilot from continuing work with a hidden medical condition?

Last edited:
dozens??? I find that hard to believe unless you're referring to O'Hare, Kennedy, LAX, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back