Is this mooney safe or is it to fast for its own good...

pp47021

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
I am considering buying a mooney that a guy at a near by airport has. I have flown in this older m20c a few times. The pervious owner and the current owner have put every available speed mod possible on this bird. She cruises at 150 kts without any trouble. The problem I have is that the yellow arc starts at about 125 kts, and 150 is right at the redline. Is it safe to consistently cruise at these high speeds in a plane that was not really designed for these speeds? BTW I think the maneuvering speed is like 115-120 kts. the current owner says this is not uncommon for these older moneys with speed mods… anyone have advice or experience with this?

Some of the short bodies do fly around the yellow but I have not heard a C doing so at altitude. I would post your question over at mooneyspace.com if you don't get a reply here.

Here is a picture of my ASI at a normal cruise speed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 88
Pete,
Over the years I have owned 2 M20Es and a TLS. I have about 3000hrs of Mooney time. I would not be concerned in the least about cruising in yellow. I have done it many times.

Walt

Back