Is this legal?

Red Air Rambo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dog of War
I met a guy today with a turbine twin (big cabin class) that told me he sells raffle tickets to people to have dinner under the stars....he takes 3 couples at a time up and serves them dinner. This sounds to me like he is skirting the rules to part 121 and should be 135 charter....your thoughts?:dunno:

If the raffle is to benefit a charitable organization, and he receives no compensation, and the charitable is a 501c3, the proper move is to clear it with the FSDO. They will let an individual do 4 such events in a year. More that that and you have to be on a drug testing program....

If the raffle is to benefit a charitable organization, and he receives no compensation, and the charitable is a 501c3, the proper move is to clear it with the FSDO. They will let an individual do 4 such events in a year. More that that and you have to be on a drug testing program....

Well he is a missionary so he probably has set it up that way.

How much are the tickets and what is the menu?:)

José

If he's a commercial pilot it could be legal assuming the flight terminates at the same airport it takes off from. Just a variation on the aerial tour thing. There are some additional requirements but that doesn't sound like 135 or 121 to me.

If he's a commercial pilot it could be legal assuming the flight terminates at the same airport it takes off from. Just a variation on the aerial tour thing. There are some additional requirements but that doesn't sound like 135 or 121 to me.
Not for several years has it been that way. See 14 CFR 91.147 for details.

The regulation covering this is 91.146.

Not for several years has it been that way. See 14 CFR 91.147 for details.

What in 91.147 contradicts what I wrote? I only meant that the flight discussed in the OP of this thread could fit in the "air tour" category and thus wouldn't need to meet the requirements of a part 135 or 121 flight. I didn't mean to imply that it didn't have to comply with 91.147.

What in 91.147 contradicts what I wrote? I only meant that the flight discussed in the OP of this thread could fit in the "air tour" category and thus wouldn't need to meet the requirements of a part 135 or 121 flight. I didn't mean to imply that it didn't have to comply with 91.147.
Sorry. It sounded like you were referring to the rules prior to 91.147's implementation, where you did not need to go through the FSDO for those 25sm sightseeing flights.

I met a guy today with a turbine twin (big cabin class) that told me he sells raffle tickets to people to have dinner under the stars....he takes 3 couples at a time up and serves them dinner. This sounds to me like he is skirting the rules to part 121 and should be 135 charter....your thoughts?:dunno:

What airport?

Back