Is this good or bad?

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
6 calendar months is up at the end of next month, so yesterday I did my 6 and a hold with a safety pilot.
#1: GPS 18 approach into 3CM. Other than trying to figure out exactly where to turn onto the FAC and slightly overshooting the FAC this approach was locked in.
#2: GPS 27 to HYX with the HPILPT entry. Needle never strayed from dead center.
#3 ILS 5 to MBS - never more than a 1/2 dot off on the LOC half, and within 1 dot on the GS.
#4 ILS 23 to MBS - they were nice enough to flip the switch and let me fly the 23 back do I didn't have to go all the ay around and do the ILS 5 again. Same results as #3.
#5 GPS 14 to MBS - again needle locked in.
#6 VOR-A into 3CM. Other than the To/FROM flip and about 15 seconds in the cone of confusion with the needle slammed to one side, the needle never moved.

Now, here's the question as to whether it's good or bad. I haven't flown an approach since October, and I flew these better than I did on the practical. Sure we should get better as our hours build up, but I would have expected some rust. No rust. I've always been the type to pick up anything I do and be really good at it from the start. (Except roller blading - so lets not mention that.) First time I was ever in an airplane I made the landing. When I flew my first NDB approach with a 20kt cross wind, I nailed it. First ILS - nailed it. My first hold - I was off my 2 seconds on my 1 minute leg. I flew these approaches yesterday and was nearly flawless. Well that's good you say. But here's the other problem. Nothing bothers me, and I never panic. Engine out at 5,000? Whatever, that's 5 minutes to find someplace to put down, or prep the cabin for impact, or troubleshoot. Heck, on my very first flight after getting the my IR I had complete radio failure in IMC, and a set screw on my tuning knob for one of my NAVs come loose. No radios, and now down to one VOR. Out comes the sectional, check the elevations below me. 7600 on the squawk box, and down out of the clouds into an airport.

Nothing rattles me and my skills don't seem to rust. Somehow I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Or is it? I don't want to be an NTSB stat - how do you correct for a natural ability to conquer anything and a lack of fear?

Sounds like you might enjoy flying with an experienced CFI who can distract you to the point of no return. I find that is where my weak links start to come undone. In a quiet, calm, cockpit it's much easier to concentrate and follow the needles/procedures. Some CFI's will just sit there and occasionally turn off a radio or mess with the trim. My CFI for both my instrument and my Comm was really good at just talking up a storm, would start singing in the intercom, and just generally pull out the stops to mess me up.

My favorite was when he turned off the intercom (well, it did save me from his singing:) ) during climb out from an non-towered field at night while approaching a mountain pass. The intercom box was way over on his side, and it took me a good 2-3 minutes to diagnose the problem. The important part was, of course, to remember to fly the plane.

Jeff

Someone once told me that pilots should be 95% confident and 5% scared sh$tless. Sounds like you have a good handle on keeping your head and focusing on your priorities while flying. Good job.

I agree with Jeff. Have your safety pilot / CFI mix it up a bit for you. Practice no gyro approaches on a regular basis. Simulate an electrical failure and fly with just your handheld GPS and COM. Simulate an engine failure and have your SP / CFI pull your hood off breaking out of a simulated low cloud cover and pick where you are going to put it down.

Greg
CFI-IA

Ed,

That's really amazing! How do you do it? I have friends who are airline and military pilots who tell me that their scan starts to break down a with a week or two off. There's an ex-military, ATP, MEI on this board who won't fly IMC by himself without a quick ride with another MEI after only 4 weeks off.

You should put that in a bottle and sell it to the rest of us!

RobertGerace said:
Ed,

That's really amazing! How do you do it? I have friends who are airline and military pilots who tell me that their scan starts to break down a with a week or two off. There's an ex-military, ATP, MEI on this board who won't fly IMC by himself without a quick ride with another MEI after only 4 weeks off.

You should put that in a bottle and sell it to the rest of us!

Wish I knew. 1000's of hours of MSFS?

The Scan has never been an issue with me. I fly with 2 fingers, I don't over correct, Keep the black below the blue on the AI and keep it 50% of each color I'll be ok in most every situation. If I get a little off on heading due to "the leans" bring it back to level, wait 10 seconds or so, then turn back to desired heading. I never thought it a good idea to "snap" from a right bank to a left bank then back to level to correct. I got thrown a lot at me during training. Vacuum "failure" and turn coordinator "failure" - now fly the ILS. Aileron and elevator "failure" - now fly the ILS.

When I was in my private training my CFI tried throwing everything at me. He could never rattle me. Finally one day he said he tried everything he could think of and could not get to me. I said, "Look, we're at 5000 feet that gives me 4000 feet of air between me and the ground - that's a solid 4 minutes to take care of the problem." "But Ed, that's not a lot of time." "Try having 4 black belts attack you in a 30' x 30' area and tell me which feels like more time to make a decision." We never practiced emergencies after that.

I don't know. I feel like I can handle anything thrown at me and have zero fear about anything I might not be able to handle - and I'm not sure how to correct for that - because I know that could come back to bite me. Then again maybe not having a wife/gf or any kids has something to do with it.

C'mon down to Peoria Ed. We'll overload your plate. There hasn't been an airman yet I couldn't overload. That's my job... 'course the two engines helps a lot.

bbchien said:
C'mon down to Peoria Ed. We'll overload your plate. There hasn't been an airman yet I couldn't overload. That's my job... 'course the two engines helps a lot.

Well I would like to get that multi com rating....hmmmm

N2212R said:
6 calendar months is up at the end of next month, so yesterday I did my 6 and a hold with a safety pilot.
#1: GPS 18 approach into 3CM. Other than trying to figure out exactly where to turn onto the FAC and slightly overshooting the FAC this approach was locked in.
#2: GPS 27 to HYX with the HPILPT entry. Needle never strayed from dead center.
#3 ILS 5 to MBS - never more than a 1/2 dot off on the LOC half, and within 1 dot on the GS.
#4 ILS 23 to MBS - they were nice enough to flip the switch and let me fly the 23 back do I didn't have to go all the ay around and do the ILS 5 again. Same results as #3.
#5 GPS 14 to MBS - again needle locked in.
#6 VOR-A into 3CM. Other than the To/FROM flip and about 15 seconds in the cone of confusion with the needle slammed to one side, the needle never moved.

Now, here's the question as to whether it's good or bad. I haven't flown an approach since October, and I flew these better than I did on the practical. Sure we should get better as our hours build up, but I would have expected some rust. No rust. I've always been the type to pick up anything I do and be really good at it from the start. (Except roller blading - so lets not mention that.) First time I was ever in an airplane I made the landing. When I flew my first NDB approach with a 20kt cross wind, I nailed it. First ILS - nailed it. My first hold - I was off my 2 seconds on my 1 minute leg. I flew these approaches yesterday and was nearly flawless. Well that's good you say. But here's the other problem. Nothing bothers me, and I never panic. Engine out at 5,000? Whatever, that's 5 minutes to find someplace to put down, or prep the cabin for impact, or troubleshoot. Heck, on my very first flight after getting the my IR I had complete radio failure in IMC, and a set screw on my tuning knob for one of my NAVs come loose. No radios, and now down to one VOR. Out comes the sectional, check the elevations below me. 7600 on the squawk box, and down out of the clouds into an airport.

Nothing rattles me and my skills don't seem to rust. Somehow I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Or is it? I don't want to be an NTSB stat - how do you correct for a natural ability to conquer anything and a lack of fear?

That's great... and comes from both great apptitude and great flight training.

Often pilots are their best when just completing a phase of training, but Murphy is always ageless and has all the time in the universe to wait for the type of complacency that can often feed on our confidence.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Murphy is always ageless and has all the time in the universe to wait for the type of complacency that can often feed on our confidence.

As we age and/or fly longer, we have had (or will have):dance: more opportunities to meet Mr. Murphy.

Back