Is this common or unsafe?

Practicing slide slips keeping longitudinal axis of the airplane aligned with the runway has tangible training value. What is the practical benefit to executing S-turns with 40° heading changes in slow flight 10' off the ground? And is it worth decreasing margins for error, or unexpected factors? I'm learning here too, so genuine question.
In my opinion there is not much benefit at all.

I would love to hear from the CFI.

Using the Principle of Charity, allow me to make a couple guesses:

1) I recall that early in my training, my instructor would get frustrated with me for “under-controlling” the plane. In my quest to be smooth and professional, I would not apply adequate control inputs. I further recall him taking the plane from me at one point, horsing the controls around and saying, “Look what I can make this plane do!”. So, this instructor may have been using this exercise to help the student see the effects of control inputs close to the ground.

2) Another thing an instructor may pick up on is “ground shyness”. It may manifest itself as a student not doing enough as the ground approaches - “freezing up” as it were. Certainly related to #1, and perhaps the instructor was trying to get the student more comfortable with maneuvering close to the ground.

That said, I don’t see myself incorporating “S-Turns Down The Runway” into my training, but I’m loathe to criticize another instructor’s techniques, especially when I’m only getting the student’s point of view on the matter.

Back