Is this a problem?

Most likely it's the attitude indicator. Remove the pilot side seat, remove the hoses on the back of the attitude indicator, remove whatever is holding that plastic cover on the front of the panel, remove the bolts/screws that are holding the attitude indicator in place, be careful as there may be nuts on the back of it that will fall. Once you get it out, get the P/N and call Aircraft Quality Instruments. They'll ship you another one. Install that one, put the panel cover back on, put the seat back in, ship your old one back in the box the new one came in.

Be very careful with the hose routing when you install the new one. I've seen a less than bright A&P route the hoses in a way that limited yoke travel and could have easily resulted in a crash.

Done. Of course you should have an A&P make the appropriate entries to return it to service.

It's dead, Jim.

58524084.jpg

Your vacuum pump sux. Or it doesn't suck. However you want to put it. :lol:

Depends on your definition of idle, at minimum throttle, mine doesn't, but at recommended 1000rpm it does.

I'll double check at what RPMs its at 5.

Two vacuum lines with AN fittings. No electrical connections.

Normal vacuum driven AIs have a pitch and bank limit of 55° in pitch and 90° in roll. More modern types are limited to 60°pitch and to about 110° of roll. When these limits are exceeded the gyro will topple and you will see the instrument oscillating. If you have a cage knob then do so, if you do not, the gyro is designed to erect itself. Did you happen to exceed the limitations of the indicator? Did your gyro fail to erect?

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of idle, at minimum throttle, mine doesn't, but at recommended 1000rpm it does.

Then you should find out why it doesn't.

Idle is what your M/M says it is. I've never seen a 1000RPM idle in the M/M for a recip.

When it happened to me it was the vacuum pump. I got a rebuilt one from Spruce for about $500 with an exchanged core.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove the pilot side seat, ...

Now now don't go making it easy. It's way funnier to see me upside down with my butt in the pilot seat and my feet over the headrest trying to look at something amiss behind the panel. I'm sure it'd be a great photo for this guy too. Haha!

Now now don't go making it easy. It's way funnier to see me upside down with my butt in the pilot seat and my feet over the headrest trying to look at something amiss behind the panel. I'm sure it'd be a great photo for this guy too. Haha!

I did that the other day. Tried to snake my phone up behind the panel to get a part# off the AI. In doing so, I took pictures of my contorted face, a few crotch shots when I dropped the phone, and some pictures of random wiring.

I did that the other day. Tried to snake my phone up behind the panel to get a part# off the AI. In doing so, I took pictures of my contorted face, a few crotch shots when I dropped the phone, and some pictures of random wiring.

ROFLMAO. Been there, done that. My older co-owners got a lot of entertainment out of me that day.

Eventually we prevailed and got what we needed to see. Haha.

Back