Is this a problem?

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
I'm new to G3X and its available monitoring. Also new with my GFC 500 autopilot. Maybe 15 hours flying after install.

No issues on a few local flights. No issue on 2 hour longer flight. No issue on 4 hour flight.

On return 4 hr trip, last hour had some stuff happen. AMPS and volts alarmed low at the same time the AP cut off. Did this maybe 3 times, amps/volts slow to recover, only only recovered after I put AP back on. Final 20 minutes no issues. All previous flights were smooth air, this was starting to get very low levels of turbulence, VERY low.

Today, AP cut off 4 times in 2 hours, went back on when prompted. Not directly observed to be associated with amp/volts readings BUT those readings did get low again. Not sure what fixed them but I did shut down some lights (I normally fly with everything on).

On amps and volts, should I be concerned, or am I just getting too much data and anxious?
On AP shutting off and being easy to re engage, what might this be?
What would you do?
Thanks!

I've asked this on some Garmin groups, someone gave the following response that makes sense to me. We had to cut the trim wheel trim piece a bit after install and I've felt the trim wheel move on my leg at times. Will eval my leg interfering with trim wheel movement next flight, might explain AP cut out and low amp/volts readings. (I'm a big guy)

I’ve had this happen a few times as well. For us, the trim wheel down by your right knee was getting a little hung. Just move it manually to loosen it up if it sticks or binds a little bit, then certainly have your mechanic look at it as well. Make sure your leg is not pushing against the plastic trim piece too. If the trim gets hung and the second has to exert additional force, then it can kick off the AP.

What plane? Could be something else sticking in the trim system. If a PA 28, the threaded fitting in the tail can get gooped up and might trip the AP.

What plane? Could be something else sticking in the trim system. If a PA 28, the threaded fitting in the tail can get gooped up and might trip the AP.
C172M

Back