Is this a great E6B pilot watch?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I'll admit I haven't checked out the details of many pilot watches, other than the AOPA Timex one which I got for free.

I came across this Torgeon Professional Pilot Watch at Think Geek (my day job interest side).

It's a real Swiss watch in an E6B. Note the instructions you can view, which basically explain how to use an E6B.

I know I wouldn't be able to make much use of of it without my glasses, but it still looks cool.

What d'ya think?

Last edited:
I used to want a pilots watch. My dad had one and it too "looked cool".

But that's about all it would do for me now in my bi-focal days.

Best flying watch I ever had was a triathalon. I think it was made by timex. Large numbers. A couple of timers. Big day/date. Dual time zones.

I need to get another one. I retired that one when my daughter bought me a watch for christmas that doesn't do any of that.

It looks nice, but I'd hate to try to use it in turbulence...

I've got the Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk. Yes, I've used the E6B functions but not regularly and definitely not in the plane. I play with it more for practice.

I'm more interested in the multi-timezones (travel a lot) and solar charging. No batteries and the existing charge will last four years according to the book.

And it looks cool. ;)

I've got that same Blue Angels watch. Have to agree its a great watch. The great part is being able to swap the digital time zone info with the analog hands. And I do think its a great looking watch!

I have the Citizen Navihawk (given to me by my wife long before I started flying). It has the same thing.

The Navihawk has the 24-hour hand, but it's on a little face at the top.

I use the timers on this watch for flying all of the time - mainly because I won't forget my watch!

mikea said:
I'll admit I haven't checked out the details of many pilot watches, other than the AOPA Timex one which I got for free.

I came across this Torgeon Professional Pilot Watch at Think Geek (my day job interest side).

It's a real Swiss watch in an E6B. Note the instructions you can view, which basically explain how to use an E6B.

I know I wouldn't be able to make much use of of it without my glasses, but it still looks cool.

What d'ya think?

If you like it for a watch, no problems. Functionality as a pilot tool = Zero. My favorite watches are the Casio G Shocks rated to 300 meter sw depth and have a count down timer. The count down timer has functionality in flight, the E6B none. I always keep an old Jep E6B 'Whiz Wheel' in the plane for that, I can use it with one hand and read it no matter how bumpy the ride gets or when on instruments without having to divert too much attention to its use.

I got the Blue Angels version of the eco drive and although it looks really cool, after age 50 if ya cant see the numbers the E6B is more of a decoration than a functional tool. But it still looks great and I like it, cant use it but I do like it!

I have the Blue Angels version also, with leather strap. Can't read the E6B either, but agree it has a coolness factor! After wearing my $29 Timex, it seems heavy enough to keep me in place on windy days too! I also like the time zone switching.

BH

The previous post has been reported. No need to do it again.
Edit: There was spam above this, which is now gone.

Last edited:
My brother gave me a Pulsar E6B watch a few years ago. It's a nice conversation piece, opens the door to talking about flying when people ask about it, impresses some ladies (but repels others -- possibly the smart ones?) on the first date, and keeps great time.

But even with my bifocals on, it's a challenge to see those tiny numbers.

I could use it in a pinch, though.

-Rich

If you like it for a watch, no problems. Functionality as a pilot tool = Zero. My favorite watches are the Casio G Shocks rated to 300 meter sw depth and have a count down timer. The count down timer has functionality in flight, the E6B none. I always keep an old Jep E6B 'Whiz Wheel' in the plane for that, I can use it with one hand and read it no matter how bumpy the ride gets or when on instruments without having to divert too much attention to its use.

Plus, the G-Shock watch that I have has a tilt sensor/light sensor in it that will automatically turn on the EL backlight when the ambient light is low enough and you tilt the watch to a viewing position. That's a pretty cool feature.

What did Jeff do to warrant being reported?
Actually, now the previous previous post has been deleted! :)
It wasn't Jeff, it was a spammer. I just didn't want the MC being inundated with numerous people reporting the same post.

Actually, now the previous previous post has been deleted! :)
It wasn't Jeff, it was a spammer. I just didn't want the MC being inundated with numerous people reporting the same post.
I was wondering if that was the case. As the thread was edited it just looked like Jeff was now guilty of some sort of PoA malfeasance. I am glad that is not the case.

I've got the Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk. Yes, I've used the E6B functions but not regularly and definitely not in the plane. I play with it more for practice.
I have one, I don't use it for flight but I wear it when traveling internationally.

An E6B is just a circular slide rule. I'll dial in the conversion rate for local currency and use it for conversions on the fly.
For example, right now rubles are .334 dollars. I'll dial in the conversion rate, just look at my watch because I can never seem to keep the value in my head, and use the inner and outer scales to do conversions.

What's a watch? Is that a 19th century device that's now obsolete? :)

Seriously, I haven't seen a need to wear a watch in over 10 years. Everything displays time these days. And, on the rare occasion when the time isn't right in front of me, it's in my pocket on my cell phone.

In the plane, I have a clock/timer on my yoke mounted chart holder, one in the panel and a real E6B in pilot's side, side pocket.

Watch?

There was an old navy nurse I worked with who once told me about pilot's watches... The bigger/fancier the watch, the smaller the pilots 'equipment'... Now, I can't vouch for the accuracy of that observation, I don't wear a watch...

denny-o :)

I'm more interested in the multi-timezones (travel a lot) and solar charging. No batteries and the existing charge will last four years according to the book.

And it looks cool. ;)

I've got that same Blue Angels watch. Have to agree its a great watch. The great part is being able to swap the digital time zone info with the analog hands. And I do think its a great looking watch!

I got the Blue Angels version of the eco drive and although it looks really cool, after age 50 if ya cant see the numbers the E6B is more of a decoration than a functional tool. But it still looks great and I like it, cant use it but I do like it!

I have the Blue Angels version also, with leather strap. Can't read the E6B either, but agree it has a coolness factor! After wearing my $29 Timex, it seems heavy enough to keep me in place on windy days too! I also like the time zone switching.

BH

I have one, I don't use it for flight but I wear it when traveling internationally.

An E6B is just a circular slide rule. I'll dial in the conversion rate for local currency and use it for conversions on the fly.
For example, right now rubles are .334 dollars. I'll dial in the conversion rate, just look at my watch because I can never seem to keep the value in my head, and use the inner and outer scales to do conversions.

Add me to the list. My wife surprised me with the Blue Angels edition for Christmas last year. The E6B is a bit tough to read, but the multi time zone capability is great when traveling. And it's ability to set itself off WWVB or the Japanese or German stations is quite handy, as well. It is now the time transfer standard in our house. :D

Back