Is this a good aviation job?

Re: The Kobiashi Maru test....

Unregistered said:
Anyhow, it looks like I jumped ship at just the right time....
Yeah, you did. Right off the Kobiashi Maru. She's a ship too, no? Or else I'm way off.

Sorry I didn't get the Star Trek reference. I need to be more in tune with the popular culture. :yes:

Bill Jennings said:
Ah, a true Star Trek geek...

I'm trying to remember that episode, though...
It wasn't an episode, it was one of the Star Trek movies. A woman junior officer was upset with Kirk and brought up the Kobiashu Maru training scenario to prove her point that he changes the rules to suit him. I think she was angry with him because he wasn't on the same page emotionally with her. (Like James Bond, Kirk saw woman as targets.)

Of course, Kirk then logically explained that the purpose of the scenario was not to figure a solution but to test critical thinking in the face of an unwinnable situation.....something which further inflamed her.

I've never been called a geek before so I don't know if I should be happy or mad.

Last edited:
I'd just like to say to "unregistered" that I think you did the right thing, too. It sounds like you really were in a Kobiashu Maru situation and nothing you did would have had a really happy ending. Better to escape a no-win situation with your well-being intact. Sadly, it sounds like someone will have to crash in MVFR at this outfit before they change their attitude (if they even do it then).

(And with that, hopefully we beam back on topic... ;) )

More to the point, the one that "saved" the entire franchise.

Bill Jennings said:
And in keeping with the even movies, a decent flick.

Kirstey Alley in her very first film. :)

Richard said:
It wasn't an episode, it was one of the Star Trek movies. A woman junior officer was upset with Kirk and brought up the Kobiashu Maru

My ultimate goal in taking this job was to get a bunch of aviation experience.
I didn't know that I would be getting as big of a lesson as I did. I was the
13th person that had tried for the job, and I was unsuccessful as well. The
style of flying is marginally insane and the late fall weather conditions here
in the midwest are sometimes good, sometimes terrible. I only hope that the
14th guy is smart and doesn't get hurt. The 100 degree cabin temps in the
summer gets most guys. (I say "guys" because most of the previous 12 were men.)
The high bank angle turns at 500' agl usually screens out all but the terribly
foolhardy.....I succeeded in getting the boss mad by making gentle "shallow" 65 degree turns when his standard was about an 80 degree bank. I spent 35,000 US Dollars at Southern to learn to be a competent, smooth, coordinated, and safe pilot....apparently all things that flying pipeline is not.

Nothing like standing a Diamond on its wing over I-80.....if that's what you're
into, which I am not!!!

Again, thanks to all that back me up. Mrs Random Pilot is still very happy with my new working schedule, and it's really great to actually see the woman you married more than once a week! (She is so committed to my aviating that she paid thebills while I was going through flight school, working at a government daycare!)

AVIATION UPDATE:
I have been offered a position flying in Russian Mission, Alaska at a Christian
Retreat Center and Rehabilitation Center. It is a great place and we are
looking to go in March. Because it is a missionary post, we have a great deal of money to raise and our local churches are probably going to pitch in a great deal.

Thanks again everyone!

Richard said:
It wasn't an episode, it was one of the Star Trek movies. A woman junior officer was upset with Kirk and brought up the Kobiashu Maru training scenario to prove her point that he changes the rules to suit him. I think she was angry with him because he wasn't on the same page emotionally with her. (Like James Bond, Kirk saw woman as targets.)

[FunwithTrekers] She was a Vulcan and thus your characterization of her as being 'angry' and 'upset' are way off the mark. Kirk could not be on the 'same page as her emotionally' because she has no emotions, they are suppressed.

Geesh if you you are going to talk Star Trek get it right or just go back to watching Battle Star Galactica or Space 1999 again. That stuff is not real like Star Trek! ;)[/FunwithTrekers]*

Just funn'n ya Richard!

*disclaimer: I have been to 4 Star Trek conventions but I never ever dressed up in costum, I have my standards :eek:;)

Last edited:

Actually, although not fleshed out in the final cut of the film, the character was actually 1/2 Vulcan, 1/2 Romulan. Hence her "gasp" when Scotty shows up on the bridge carrying his mortally wounded nephew.

smigaldi said:
[FunwithTrekers] She was a Vulcan and thus your characterization of her as being 'angry' and 'upset' are way off the mark. Kirk could not be on the 'same page as her emotionally' because she has no emotions, they are suppressed.

Geesh if you you are going to talk Star Trek get it right or just go back to watching Battle Star Galactica or Space 1999 again. That stuff is not real like Star Trek! ;)[/FunwithTrekers]*

Just funn'n ya Richard!

*disclaimer: I have been to 4 Star Trek conventions but I never ever dressed up in costum, I have my standards :eek:;)

doesn't sound worth it to me, I think you made the right decision and maybe nothing would have happened but at least you're still around to make another good decision in the future!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back