Is there really a market for this?

$40k to spend 14:32 in a Cirrus? Think I'd play my cards on the scarelines before doing that, even if I was a millionaire.

Or I'd charter something a knot or two faster.

You can have it.

The prices on that site are absurd.

I hear people are cancelling their reservations on United for this!

Wow... I have to assume that is just the product of some search algorithm in the database and not something you could actually "book" - I have tried using a service like this once before actually as an idea of a "splurge" for a weekend getaway.. A.) I didn't end up going because it was crazy expensive and B.) you can't actually book anything.. you end up filling some info out and later someone calls you
^^but that Cirrus for $40K for 14 hrs is still a little absurd!

Would be interesting though to find a "middle of the road" air taxi charter operation somewhere. Most SR22s around me rent for around $300 per hour give or take $25. If you bumped that hourly rate up to $500 I wonder if you could make an "Uber for planes" type of service for folks to commute say from Bedford MA to Teterboro.. San Diego to Palm Springs, Napa, Las Vegas, etc.

There are destinations that driving to is a pain in the ass and flying is also "not worth it" - I bet there would be people out there you could cater this to (but maybe, or rather, obviously not since no one has done it?)

That price is over $1400 per hour for a Cirrus when you figure the empty leg. For a plane that rents for $300 and be generous and say $100 per hr for a pilot and it still makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

At least as of a couple of years ago, openair's pricing seemed out there as well, even for shorter haul flights.

My comment in Post #7 was more addressing Tantalum's comment in Post #6. His $500 flight was a $1,000 flight, and so on.

If I want to go somewhere, I could (more or less) hire a CFI and Cirrus and go. Then, I'm either paying the CFI for waiting time (and rental minimums, etc.,) or there are two round-trips.

Doubling the cost will reduce the market.

One of the biggest developing areas in charter flight booking is making use of the empty legs.

FlyOtto.com

Ok, so on there, let's take this one - Seattle to Oakland: $10'001 in a Cessna 340 - or $12000 for a 3-day return trip.

So you're still getting paid $1250 per hour ($10k/8 hours including the re-positioning) for a plane that runs... what... maybe $625 per hour? ($400 operating/hour, plus $100 amortized purchase price of ~$500k over 5000 hours, and then add 10% - $125 for general Part 135 expenses).

Otto takes 10%, leaving $1125, this means the pilot is pocketing $500 per hour. Or is my cost math off, and really this operation costs you $1100 per hour to run and the pilot gets $25 ?

So question again, is there really a market for this at that price?

upload_2017-5-12_6-33-31.png

wtf... if I start doing this, maybe I'll be able to afford those $500/plate restaurants after all!

Nah. I am sure you have heard how to make a small fortune in aviation. Start with a large one.

To do this legally, you gotta get an ops certificate, and that is pricey. Not enough people willing to pay 40k a pop for a 14 flight from NY to Seattle for you to recoup those expenses.

this means the pilot is pocketing $500 per hour. Or is my cost math off, and really this operation costs you $1100 per hour to run and the pilot gets $25 ?
The pilot is certainly not pocketing 500$ per hour, if that was the case, we'd all be involved in this. Consider the overhead costs involved.

The problem is the empty leg back home. Doubles your cost.

It doubles your cost yes, but $40K is still nearly an order of magnitude off from the operational cost one way. I suspect that if you approached a charter FBO for the same thing, the costs would be closer to $15K, including accommodations. As I recall, the one time I chartered a 182 (a long time ago), it was $300/hr including the pilot, with a $20/hr pilot standby charge.

if you're going to charter a CFI and plane, might as well get the instruction and PIC time in too. BRF? Instrument?

So this is obviously absurd. The question is did they get any bites ? How is the business? People who has that kind of money are generally smart and will not fall for this kind of scam. Its a scam , isn't it? If laws of physics are correct than either they have not started business and trying to see if they get any bites or they will be out of business soon.

Back