Is there even remote possibility to receive Special Issuance while having history of Psychosis?

J

Josh12345678

Hi All,

While I was in therapy for mild depression with Efexor I quit it by 'cold turkey' method. Nobody warned me for doing this, and I was couple of months later hospitalized with official diagnose 'Paranoid Psychosis'. After hospitalisation my therapy included Zoloft and Abilify, and this combination worked very well for me, and since 2006 until 7 months ago I had this therapy. I have talked to my MD about quitting medications, and two years ago I started to take smaller and smaller dose of Zoloft and stopped with it, and waited month to see if anything is going wrong with my health and it thank god it wasn't, and then my MD gave me green light to gradually reduce dose of Abilify which I quit during december last year. Since december last year I am stable, and feel well. I contacted couple of years ago Dr. Chien by email describing my situation and his answer as I remember (I lost his emails with my dead HD) big firm NO for my wishes for getting medical class 2. My question is, if I want to challenge this very qualified verdict, would be futile to go to Psychological/Neurogical testing (Trail trest A and B, Wechsler Adult IQ test, Rorschach test, etc.) . The reason why I ask this is that when I was hospitalised I went to Rorscach test, and conclusion was like 'You are normal, just find some work which you will enjoy and like'. Thanks for any input.

Really the best way to find out is to ask him again. I would think the only way would be showing that the diagnosis was wrong (it was never psychosis but only withdrawal from Effexor). and of course therefore that being on two meds was incorrect to start with. But Dr. Bruce would know whether there is any chance at all.

Unqualified to answer anything specific medically, but broader question:

What is the potential harm in going through whatever testing you want? Possibly eliminating sport pilot? You're currently without medical...you're assuming you can't get a medical...so the worst possible outcome is that you're right, and you can't get a medical (and you're short a few dollars), but the other option would be that the test results are all favorable and you have a path forward?

I understand if he said it's a firm NO, but in this case it's either NO and don't try, or try and likely still "NO" but maybe yes?

With a diagnosis of Paranoid Psychosis the FAA is not going to issue you a medical.

Wow... With all due respect I'm not so sure I want you in the same airspace with my family and I...

Seems to me that if you had no prior history or symptoms of a psychosis - and you can find a black box warning that cold turkey an SSRI will cause this [such as SSRI discontinuance syndrome] and you have several docs who can testify it was a side effect of stopping meds. . . . you're not psychotic - you had a drug induced episode.

Seems like the FAA might issue one on a short leash.

Seems to me that if you had no prior history or symptoms of a psychosis - and you can find a black box warning that cold turkey an SSRI will cause this [such as SSRI discontinuance syndrome] and you have several docs who can testify it was a side effect of stopping meds. . . . you're not psychotic - you had a drug induced episode.

Seems like the FAA might issue one on a short leash.
I bet they'd want him off the meds for at least two years. He may have to wait.

Wow... With all due respect I'm not so sure I want you in the same airspace with my family and I...

That seems totally uncalled for.

Guy is being honest about their dream and we give him sh*t about his history of illness?

I guarantee that you know someone with a similar diagnosis or mental history. You may work with them, go to church with them, they may be parents of your kids friends; but there are many, many people out there in the same boat.

Now the truth may be the FAA makes it impossible for the OP to obtain their needed medical. I don't totally disagree with the FAA's policy on this- you have to protect the public. Recent crashes by European pilots reinforce this point. Its a tough issue and the FAA's erring on the side of caution- which they should be.

I do, however, disagree with shaming a person in this forum based on a history of mental illness. I doubt most people would say that to somebody pouring their heart out about a issue in person, not sure why it would be ok online.

I bet they'd want him off the meds for at least two years. He may have to wait.
part of the short leash - you can't be on anything stronger than aspirin. Plus they'll want to see at least twice the max time for SSRI discontinuance syndrome to clear- 2 years seems about right.

Would be best if Bruce would weigh in on this. Clearly the FAA is not going to issue anyone with an outstanding dx of paranoid psychosis, but if it was withdrawal-induced and the OP can demonstrate stability while off all meds, common sense says there *should* be a way, but FAA policy has a way of defying common sense. Bottom line: no one here knows for sure, the OP would be advised to work with Bruce on this, if Bruce is willing.

Let me ask you, what is your primary goal in learning to fly? Is it for business of pleasure? If it is primarily for pleasure, you might simply consider flying with and instructor, or other certificated pilot.

If, on the other hand, you need this for business, you might consider hiring a professional pilot, and just sitting up front when you fly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back