Is there any benefit to calling the AMCD periodically while cert is under review?

mbferg17

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mbferg17
I read a few times that calling AMCD and asking for a status update can improve your wait time for a decision.

I can easily logon to the medexpress website and see the status myself, and when calling they never give any additional information that isn't shown on medexpress.

Is there some sort of mechanism that they record which applicants under review are frequently contacting them and prioritize those or something?

Or is it merely placebo effect to help people stuck waiting forever? o_O

I don't really want to bog down the phone number/harass the associates if it doesn't actually help expedite anything.

It can't hurt. I have also heard that calling OKC periodically will help keep things moving, but that could be a myth.

Personally I've had better luck with the Regional office. They have access to the same system and their staff are very helpful. They typically give you a more detailed answer about the current status of your application than OKC does. You can also email them if you find that to be more convenient.

I was told on my second call after months had elapsed that it would get flagged for quicker attention or something. Made me feel better, could've been a song and dance as far as I know!

I’ve called AAM-300 every week for the past 11 weeks and I’ve got the same answer every week: “still under review” and nothing else. I personally don’t think it’s doing anything but who knows. I’ll probably call the RFS soon; I’m getting tired of this haha.

I’ve called AAM-300 every week for the past 11 weeks and I’ve got the same answer every week: “still under review” and nothing else. I personally don’t think it’s doing anything but who knows. I’ll probably call the RFS soon; I’m getting tired of this haha.
Definitely call your RFS office.

My situation is exactly like yours. When I would call OKC weekly they would always say the same thing; "Still in review. Check back later."

Call your RFS and leave a voicemail. A member of the staff will usually call you back same day with a much more detailed reply. I called my RFS Monday morning and got a call Monday afternoon. The RFS staffer was able to tell me exactly where my application was in the process and gave me a rough estimate on turnaround. Much more useful than calling OKC.

That said, I still plan on pinging OKC every 7-14 days though, because "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". Don't give up. They work for you. Hold them accountable by requesting updates regularly.

My situation is exactly like yours. When I would call OKC weekly they would always say the same thing; "Still in review. Check back later."

Call your RFS and leave a voicemail. A member of the staff will usually call you back same day with a much more detailed reply. I called my RFS Monday morning and got a call Monday afternoon. The RFS staffer was able to tell me exactly where my application was in the process and gave me a rough estimate on turnaround. Much more useful than calling OKC.

That said, I still plan on pinging OKC every 7-14 days though, because "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". Don't give up. They work for you. Hold them accountable by requesting updates regularly.
Which regional office did you call? I called the eastern one, which covers my state, and the voicemail box was full. I submitted my last round of paperwork on 8/30 and have been in review since. Thanks for the help!

Which regional office did you call? I called the eastern one, which covers my state, and the voicemail box was full. I submitted my last round of paperwork on 8/30 and have been in review since. Thanks for the help!
I called my local regional which covers my state. Definitely only call the regional office that covers your area.

If the voicemail service is full, you can also email them. Their email is publicly available on the Regional Flight Surgeon contact page. Google "FAA RFS" and select "Regional Flight Surgeon Contact Information"

I would post a link to it but I can't because I'm a new user.

I’m in the same situation. My AME said calling the RFS doesn’t do anything. My numerous calls have done nothing.
How do we push this up the chain of command (if there is such a thing in this case)?

I’d like to see an automatic approval after the 60 days they say it should take to review and they can modify that when they get around to the actual review (if it ever happens).

I’m in the same situation. My AME said calling the RFS doesn’t do anything. My numerous calls have done nothing.
How do we push this up the chain of command (if there is such a thing in this case)?

I’d like to see an automatic approval after the 60 days they say it should take to review and they can modify that when they get around to the actual review (if it ever happens).
You could try your congressperson, I heard an ad on the radio the other day encouraging people to reach out the their representatives if they are having trouble interfacing with a federal agency. I happen to work for a different government agency and when we get congressional inquiries they definitely get management’s attention. I would rather not put myself on the radar like that, but it could be an option.

YES. You do actaully get moved up in an impossibly long queue.
Something has to give. I have revenue airmen who have not gotten the "What we want next year" letter when it's already "next year.

sigh.
B

I emailed them last week and got a response next day with a much more detailed response as to what as happened with my medical. While they of course aren’t able to tell me exactly when I’ll have my response they gave me a deeper insight into what has happened with it and what is happening with it. I replied with another question but have yet to receive a response, most likely because of the holiday.

TLDR: Call or email your RFS to anyone reading this in the same boat as us, while they can’t give you an exact answer it will make you feel better.

YES. You do actaully get moved up in an impossibly long queue.
Something has to give. I have revenue airmen who have not gotten the "What we want next year" letter when it's already "next year.

sigh.
B
So, I have heard calling on "three non-consecutive days" will yield a small bump in priority and get more eyes on your file.

How should I interpret that? I have called each week since about mid December, is that sufficient? Or is it better to actually call M, W, and F in the same week at least once?

The only reason I got my SI years ago when I had one done in a reasonable time is the RFS intervened in my case, so I wouldn't say it was completely worthless calling them. They might not be able to help, but in my case they were.

Back