Is there a Window / STC for a C182 Pax side door window to open?

JoseCuervo

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JoseCuervo
I like the left door window being able to open, just wondering if there is a retrofit kit / STC to allow a passenger door window in a 182 to open.

Any leads?

In my '79 182q both windows open

Only on POA....I want better airflow....the answer: you need to buy a different plane.

joke
jōk/
noun
  1. 1.
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
    "she was in a mood to tell jokes"
    synonyms: funny story, jest, witticism, quip; More
verb
  1. 1.
    make jokes; talk humorously or flippantly.
    "she could laugh and joke with her colleagues"
    synonyms: tell jokes, crack jokes; More

Hey guys.... I'd just like to point out that your windows that open don't really help out the OP. ;)

LoL

Actually, they do. If the window is in the drawings for the plane (e.g. as an option) it is possible that he doesn't need an STC. Some junkyard parts and the mechanics entry in the log may be sufficient.

You're best option though is to buy a straight tail. Operable copilot's window, better performance, far less onerous ancillary BS than later model, quicker, lighter, etc.

Go ahead, you know you want to! ;)

My '62 E model has the same book numbers for speed, more useful load, more cabin space......so I'm out on the straight tail

Oh, has an extra window too ;)

P.S. I would love a openable (is that a word?) window on the right side as well.

Look up and locate the applicable parts in the Cessna parts catalog and install them. Minor alteration, logbook entry.

You're best option though is to buy a straight tail. Operable copilot's window, better performance, far less onerous ancillary BS than later model, quicker, lighter, etc.

Go ahead, you know you want to! ;)

Had a straight tail, narrow body. Would not own one again. The extra width in the cabin is worth whatever small speed loss that the wide cabin causes.

I like not having to stagger (front to back) the two front seats, and, I like not having to have the non-flying pilot have to put his arm around the back of the flying pilot on long flights.

For single pilot with no front seat pax, the narrow body is fine, and the manual flaps are great. But, to aggressively use the manual flaps, means making sure the other person is out of the way when you rip up on the flap handle on short final.

Yeah, they're out there, a quick google search returned this: http://ellis-assoc.com/Right_Hand_Openable_Window.php

;)

That STC is crazy expensive....

$500 for the stc
25 hours labor x $__xX per hour = $1500-2000
$$$ ______ for the donor door from the salvage (guessing a $1000???_

The STC cost $500.00 Master Data List (MDL)/Installation Instruction and a copy of the STC Estimated installation time is: 20 hrs for rivet doors 25 hrs for bonded doors 5 hrs to remove parts from donor door The hardware purchased separate from the STC consisting of; Cessna parts, screw, rivets, anchor nut plate, window and fiberglass material. Parts are obtainable through a Salvage Yard.
Applicable on 172, 175, 182, 205, P206, 207 & 210's.

Cheaper to fly without the door, and just make sure the pax has the shoulder harness on, and a tether to all their personal belongings.

Actually, they do. If the window is in the drawings for the plane (e.g. as an option) it is possible that he doesn't need an STC. Some junkyard parts and the mechanics entry in the log may be sufficient.

Where do you find the drawings for a C182F?

My '62 E model has the same book numbers for speed, more useful load, more cabin space......so I'm out on the straight tail

Oh, has an extra window too ;)

P.S. I would love a openable (is that a word?) window on the right side as well.

This.^^^^

I have spent some time recently in a 61 model, narrow body, swept tail, and I can't tell any difference on the numbers. But, I can tell a difference on the comfort and the usability.

Where do you find the drawings for a C182F?

Talk to your IA. He can probably order them from Cessna technical docs (just like he would order them if you mangled a doorframe and he needed to re-build it).

I am familiar with this for the A36. You can add passenger brake pedals with a log entry because they were an option at the time. Some owners have a copy of the drawings and are willing to share them.

12 responses in and no one said "Bonanza" yet. You guys are slipping.

Get a Bonanza.
There I did it.

Not mentioned yet so adding.

Our 1975 P model pax window didn't open so we bought a new window that has a large hinged camera port in it.

Don't get it so large you have to slide the seat back. Ask us how we know... :)

Had a straight tail, narrow body. Would not own one again. The extra width in the cabin is worth whatever small speed loss that the wide cabin causes.

I like not having to stagger (front to back) the two front seats, and, I like not having to have the non-flying pilot have to put his arm around the back of the flying pilot on long flights.

I don't have that problem.

Then again, I'm not in the "medically obese" category like many (most?) pilots are. :cool:

I don't have that problem.

Then again, I'm not in the "medically obese" category like many (most?) pilots are. :cool:

Which reminds me of an oooooold joke:

Two guys simultaneously belly up to the urinals at their 10 year class reunion. Both had been football player in high school. Mark was just amazed at how much weight Bob had put on during those 10 years since graduation.

Mark: "Dude, how much weight have you gained since high school?"

Bob: "Oh, I don't know, 50 maybe."

Mark: "Dude, how long has it been since you've seen your pecker?"

Bob: "Oh, I don't know, 5 years maybe."

Mark: "Dude, why don't you diet?"

Bob: "Oh, I don't know, what color is it now?"

We bought a new door for a 182RG that needed the opening side window. There should be some used units in the salvage yards. Install and paint to match. This was for an FBI airplane so the joke was that they needed a window to shoot out of.

Back