Is there a text only option for my teens?

LandSickness

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
fri tale
I'm looking to harness three teenagers to home base and I want to do it without a wasteful five user cellphone plan. I don't know about your teenagers but mine never ever talk on the phone, but when they're at home, they text seemingly non stop, via wifi from their Nexus 7 tablets which Mom forbids them to take out of the house. How can I tether them to their mom and me while they're out with friends? Again, they're teenagers who never, ever talk on the phone, so a family cellphone plan would be a huge waste. I could use some direction here.

If you have internet on your smart phone, you can set it up like a wi-fi hotspot and "relay" through it. Depending on your phone and service provider, you can pay them per month (which IMHO is ridiculous) or just root/jailbreak your phone and do it for free.

If you have internet on your smart phone, you can set it up like a wi-fi hotspot and "relay" through it. Depending on your phone and service provider, you can pay them per month (which IMHO is ridiculous) or just root/jailbreak your phone and do it for free.

I'm confused, so when my teens are out with friends, what will they use to communicate with me and their mom?

I'm confused, so when my teens are out with friends, what will they use to communicate with me and their mom?

You used the word "tether".... that's the term for what I was describing so that's the gear my brain shifted into.

You used the word "tether".... that's the term for what I was describing so that's the gear my brain shifted into.

Sorry, bad use of the term on my part. I'm just looking for something that will enable my teens to check in with home base now and then.

Given the many free hotspots I would look at letting then take the tablets out. The other option is get some older smartphones and don't get service on them. They can connect to a wifi hotspot and then they should be able to text. also has the option of calling 911 without a subscription. There seem to be free hotspots in so many locations now that it should give them connection most of the time.

Oh, for the halcyon days of my youth, long before Scott invented the cell phone while munching on a deep-dish pizza, back when the better part of my days were gloriously free of my mother's nagging.

Sigh.

As for your question, I would consider a prepaid service. It's usually much cheaper (although I don't know how it would compare to a family plan). But there are caveats.

The first thing you have to consider is data caps. With the exception of T-Mobile (whose unlimited data plan really is unlimited -- they don't even care if you tether your PC to your phone), all of the other "unlimited" plans do have caps. They just craftily work them into the TOS as prohibitions against using the data service for, well, pretty much anything other than basic Web browsing and email, which allows them to terminate you if you get carried away with it.

I've also received anecdotal reports that Boost Mobile is pretty liberal with data. My goddaughter watches a movie or two a day using Netflix over Boost Mobile, and they haven't cut her off. So maybe Boost's "unlimited" plan really is unlimited, too.

The other thing you have to consider if you go prepaid is what service will actually be carrying the signal. Most prepaid providers are MVNOs that lease time from major wireless providers. If one or another provider's service works best where you live, then you would need to find an MVNO that uses that host.

Sprint offers the lowest prices to MVNOs, and is therefore the most popular host for low-priced MVNOs. If Sprint is good where you are, then you can save a bundle using Boost Mobile, Virgin, or any of the zillion other MVNOs that work over Sprint.

If Verizon is your carrier of choice, then I can tell you from personal experience that the absolute cheapest way to get VZW is to go to Wal-Mart and buy a Straight Talk phone that has "CDMA-V" printed on the box somewhere. If you want Sprint, look for CDMA-S. If you want AT&T or T-Mo... well, more about that later.

Verizon's the only game in town where I live, but I get my VZW from Wal-Mart through Straight Talk. Why? Because I'd rather pay $45.00 a month than $120.00 a month for unlimited everything, and the service is almost identical. The only thing (other than possible data caps, which I have never personally run into) that makes the service "almost" identical is that my VZW service doesn't roam.

So that means that if there's no VZW signal, then I have no service. This is fine with me, though, because I actually enjoy being out of cell phone range. It reminds me of the days before the blasted things were invented, which makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

If you want prepaid service that does roam, then consider T-Mobile. Voice and text (but not data) will roam to AT&T. You'll also get T-Mo's truly unlimited data plan when you're on their towers, plus the ability to use literally any T-Mo phone (rather than the rather crappy selection that MVNOs in general provide) with your service. If I had a T-Mo signal here, I'd go back to them. Just having the tethering as an available backup for my cable Internet would make it worthwhile.

I'm also told that if you purchase a Straight Talk GSM phone and physically activate it in a place where AT&T has a signal but T-Mo has none, then the phone will be assigned to AT&T as the primary carrier, with talk and text (but not data) roaming on T-Mo.

If you want T-Mo on Straight Talk, then just activate a GSM Straight Talk phone someplace where there's a strong T-Mo signal. If the phone finds strong T-Mo when it's activated, then it will default to T-Mo's network.

That's what I'm told, anyway. YMMV.

Here's a list of some of the Host / MVNO relationships, offered with no warranty regarding it's accuracy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

I have a friend who's in the prepaid cell phone business, and he knows pretty much everything there is to know about it. If you decide to go that way, let me know, and I'll send you his information.

-Rich

Last edited:
Why not just get a family plan and pot the minute way down to cover you and your wife and get unlimited texting?

I'm with AT&T. Unlimited texting is $30 per month for all of us. Plus $10 per phone per month plus whatever voice you and you wife want. With smart phones add $25 per month per smart phone for data.

So you and you wife have smart phones (iPhones or the like) and two kids have feature phones that can text. $40 for all the phones, plus $30 for unlimited text, plus your two data plans $50 and you're at $120. Now all you need is voice for you and you wife. 500 minutes? 1,000? Don't know how much you talk.

Less than $200 per month should cover what you want.

Last edited:
When I worked at T-Mobile, we did, in fact, offer a plan that had only text messaging. The problem was that you could still make phone calls and use data, but you were charged to do so.

These days, you can actively block such activity, but I'd bet that plan is no longer offered.

Why not just get a family plan and pot the minute way down to cover you and your wife and get unlimited texting?

I'm with AT&T. Unlimited texting is $30 per month for all of us. Plus $10 per phone per month plus whatever voice you and you wife want. With smart phones add $25 per month per smart phone for data.

So you and you wife have smart phones (iPhones or the like) and two kids have feature phones that can text. $40 for all the phones, plus $30 for unlimited text, plus your two data plans $50 and you're at $120. Now all you need is voice for you and you wife. 500 minutes? 1,000? Don't know how much you talk.

Less than $200 per month should cover what you want.
Man! You're in the wrong business!:D

I'm looking to harness three teenagers to home base and I want to do it without a wasteful five user cellphone plan. I don't know about your teenagers but mine never ever talk on the phone, but when they're at home, they text seemingly non stop, via wifi from their Nexus 7 tablets which Mom forbids them to take out of the house. How can I tether them to their mom and me while they're out with friends? Again, they're teenagers who never, ever talk on the phone, so a family cellphone plan would be a huge waste. I could use some direction here.

Teach your kids some responsibility....... Have them pay for their OWN phones..... GEEZ....:mad2:

http://www.republicwireless.com

It's as low as $19.00 a month (you buy the phone). That's $60 bucks for all three. Unlimited talk/text/web. They only use a Motorola defy which is set to use WIFI wherever available.

http://www.ting.com

Probably a little more expensive, but you buy what you want. Devices are $6. per month. You can share minutes/text/data. Buy what you need. Drawback is that there are no unlimited buckets.

http://www.boostmobile.com

I have both of my teenagers on this. With shrinkage, I pay $35 a month for their unlimited plans. It took 18 months to get there, but I love it. I have a company issued phone, but I'd use this for myself if I needed to.

Hope that helps.

My nephew does his texting with his Ipod touch (running iOS 5), with iMessage app. no monthly fees, no plans etc.

AT&T GoPhone, 10cent/minute plan. Add unlimited texting feature. Total cost $20 per month if they don't use voice or data. Customer service is much better than most pay-as-you go plans.

It's what my teens do, since I make them pay for their phones and their use of them.

AT&T GoPhone, 10cent/minute plan. Add unlimited texting feature. Total cost $20 per month if they don't use voice or data. Customer service is much better than most pay-as-you go plans.

It's what my teens do, since I make them pay for their phones and their use of them.

Will never happen, if they are used to texting via wifi now then they are probably playing games and using wifi for other stuff. Doubtful they'll following the 'no data' rule when they are out and about. I switched off of Tmobile and over to Net10, bill got cut by more than half and it's using AT&T towers so the service is good too. Highly recommend it and they have family plans.

I still can't get over that kids apparently "need" cell phones these days, so I'm clueless on tactics for lowering prices of such discretionary items for families.

I still can't get over that kids apparently "need" cell phones these days, so I'm clueless on tactics for lowering prices of such discretionary items for families.

It is pretty invaluable for keeping track of teenagers. You actually want them to have leash... I mean phone. No more excuses on why they didn't call, when they were late... well except the dead battery excuse (why is my son's cell battery always dead). He is off at college now and it is still always dead or dying.

It is pretty invaluable for keeping track of teenagers. You actually want them to have leash... I mean phone. No more excuses on why they didn't call, when they were late... well except the dead battery excuse (why is my son's cell battery always dead). He is off at college now and it is still always dead or dying.

A grown kid........ off to collage and can't keep a cell phone battery charged.. :mad2:.

I bet you are real proud of him..:D

A grown kid........ off to collage and can't keep a cell phone battery charged.. :mad2:.

I bet you are real proud of him..:D

I am proud of him, but not about that. That's just an ongoing frustration, that and his voicemail is always full.

I am proud of him, but not about that. That's just an ongoing frustration, that and his voicemail is always full.

Well, that's an accomplishment in itself.

It took me a long time to get my voicemail full. I did it so I wouldn't have to stop and pull over whenever I got a wisp of a signal, just to listen to recordings of robocalls made by bots who were too stupid to realize that they'd been connected to voice mail.

I once made a voice mail recording that started with a recording of a SIT tone and a "this number is not in service" announcement. Only my family and close friends were privy to the ruse. That actually worked pretty well. I should try it again.

-Rich

Sorry, bad use of the term on my part. I'm just looking for something that will enable my teens to check in with home base now and then.

You either get them cell phones or give up. If they want/need to check in for their reasons, they'll use their friends phone. If you want to contact them, then you need to get them phones. Learn to let go, either of them or of money lol.

Do they still make two way pagers and are there SMS gateways for them?

That'd mortify any teen into getting a job and paying for their own phone. Have the bat-belt giant pager on it. LOL.

Sounds to me like you want an electronic leash. If so, check these out: http://www.findmespot.com/en/

These devices have their uses (like providing a means for a distress call when nothing else is available). However, the user has control over what the device does (or doesn't do). So if they don't want their whereabouts known, it won't be. The device also needs a clear view of the sky to do it's thing - so it may fail to work if one is not careful. Bottom line: great for those who head off into the wilderness. Less useful closer to home.

Dave

Back