Is there a standardized graph or formula for take-off distance vs altitude?

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
I know each plane is specific, but lets say one wanted to extrapolate the approx take off distance for various altitudes?

Ex: Under STP conditions, plane brand C uses 755 feet to take off at max gross sea level. Proposed; brand C is at 8000' and temp is now 30F. Stated svc ceiling is 16,000' Can the take off increase distance be determined from a formula, or a graph? If so, is there a link?

I don't have the POH, not looking for exact numbers just a ball park. I SWAGed it would be ~50% increase at 8000' elevation and 30F, for about 1200'?

Yes.

Longer answer: do a net search using the keywords "take off distance formula". Lotsa hits. Of course you don't want the purely physics-based formulas; you want ones where you can take numbers from a PoH, plug them in, and crank out the extrapolated values. I'm too lazy to actually work them out or hunt them down.

Oh - just remembered that Imeson's "Mountain Flying Bible" had some equations for extrapolating things like take off distance.

Koch Chart. Given temperature and pressure altitude, it provide a percentage increase in take off distance and a percentage decrease in climb rate. Google it

Koch Chart. Given temperature and pressure altitude, it provide a percentage increase in take off distance and a percentage decrease in climb rate. Google it

Then also don't forget to account for whatever the POH says as a % for headwind vs tailwind and slope.

I feel a lot more comfortable ,using the POH.

Back