Is there a source for runway conditions at untowered airports?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
I suspect the answer is
1) call the fbo
2) read notams
3) phone a friend

But not finding anything, so is there any other source I can check to find out if runways are clear of snow?

In the case of snow, I suspect you need to call the FBO. But even then it might not be covered when you call, but conditions can change much to quickly for that to be covered by NOTAM, unless the show lasts a long time and the FBO has no snow removal capability. For instance, my home airport has no snow removal capability so if it snows, it stays there till it melts. of course, the last time that happened was around 1998 and it lasted for about 10 minutes.

Call the manager is your best bet, followed by call the fbo. Notams may or may not be accurate.

Last winter I had filed IFR to hot springs, ar. They had issued a notam that they were clearing the runway that morning, and we were scheduled to arrive 2 hours after the end time. When we got there they had just started...we could see the tractor making the first pass. Mind you this was 2 days after the 3" snow "storm".

I have heard snow clearing ops, or rwy conditions reported on asos/atis. These can often be reached by phone too.

I just call the FBO. Some might post a notam but that seems rare

If it is a commercial service airport, NOTAMs should be pretty valid as we are policed by the FAA on our use of NOTAMs. Untowered, non commercial airports are a crap shoot.

In all cases, getting in touch with the airport or FBO is a good idea. Can help verify information, and also let's them know you are coming. While we do the best we can during snow events, we sometimes bases our operations on known aircraft operations schedule.

NOTAMs. If none are published, overfly the field and take a look. If it looks good, land.

My local uncontrolled airport posts NOTAMS regarding runway conditions, and they will also post a NOTAM that says something to the effect of "We're not here to check on the runway conidition".

Also, I’ve had approach controllers give me a heads up to snow covered runways at my destination airport. I’m assuming this is a courtesy and should not be used as a primary source for this information.

If the airport you're heading to has an ATIS/AWOS, you could try calling it up. Sometimes, runway conditions are included. Otherwise, you're going to have to call the airport. If you're flying up North, the little untowered airports aren't going to issue a NOTAM every time the runway has snow on it because that would be a lot of NOTAMS. I don't know where you're flying, but you might also want to ask about ice on the runway.

I suspect the answer is
1) call the fbo
2) read notams
3) phone a friend

But not finding anything, so is there any other source I can check to find out if runways are clear of snow?
You if I’m behind you in sequence for the approach. Same is true when picking through an area of convective activity.

Thank you, Pathfinder.

Thank you everyone. This is pretty much what I suspected, forgot to mention ATIS in the initial post.

I eventually got a callback from someone at the FBO and they confirmed the runway was still covered. The southeast had snow over the weekend and we don't have the equipment to clear roads in a timely manner, let alone runways.

Webcams can be useful.

Some airports have one pointing at the apron. To be safe, I assume the runway is no better than the apron. Webcams are also helpful for gauging visibility.

Here's the one for the apron at my home drome, KIOW Iowa City
http://198.151.137.30/view/index.shtml

Here's a screenshot I just took, which shows that it just snowed this morning and hasn't yet been plowed.
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 8.05.20 AM.png

Last edited:
On my long cross country, since I needed the 3 points, I was like oh I’ll land here at this untowered airport will be an easy in and out and I have the additional point needed. Descended to traffic pattern altitude, looking for the airport, was just like the photo above all snow, looks like a few airplanes landed and took off but I said forget that as I have zero experience landing on that whatever it is haha (ice, snow, slippery?), full power climbed and continued on the journey. During the winter especially with snow, I’d rather go to a towered airport Class Delta or higher, to have the services if needed. But then again my experience the other day at an untowered airport did result in assistance when needed so your results may vary. :D

Or do like the old time pilots and drag one wheel on the runway, then fly over again and look at the track to determine how deep the snow is...

(I am not suggesting this, do so at your own *)

During the winter especially with snow, I’d rather go to a towered airport Class Delta or higher, to have the services if needed.
Downtown St. Paul used to be notorious for not putting out NOTAM for snow. Got into a pretty good argument with a guy I used to fly with over it. Finally convinced him to call the tower there and ask…they had a foot of snow on the runway.

Back