Is there a Boston VFR corridor for sightseeing

esorcc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
C. Rose
Hi,
I will be flying up through the Boston area a week from now. I’d like to do a scenic tour but I do not see a FLY chart for Boston. Is there anything that is known to locals? I’d like to go around the west side of BOS.
Thanks.

How close in do you need to go? Logan is east of the city proper, so the surface area of the class B on the west side isn't that far. You stay west of Alumni Stadium at Boston College and you're under the 2000' shelf.

"Cleared for the Approach
IFR Pilots and IFR Students will find topics of special interest to them here!"

*twitches*

There are helicopter routes they will let you fly, or you can just tell them you want a tour, tell them where you want to go and ask them how to do it. I live here and still haven't done it, but I know guys who do. We are west, so they start at the Needham towers and go from there. Usually at like 1,500 feet.

We're not local, but......my wife has a sister in Boston. Just give 'em a call and tell them you want a city tour ^^^^^^^. They've been very accomodating when we've done that in the past. They'll give you landmarks for boundaries, but we flew around right downtown last time. Great fun! Actually going back in a couple weeks!

Jim

Last edited:
Thank you all. I’ll be IFR so hopefully they’ll give me a good tour if I just ask and we have clear VFR weather.
I’ll be landing at BVY just north of BOS.

"Cleared for the Approach
IFR Pilots and IFR Students will find topics of special interest to them here!"

*twitches*
I was not sure where this fit best. Sorry.

I was not sure where this fit best. Sorry.

We'll survive :) This is specifically an IFR forum, and yours is 100% a VFR question. As such, a ton of local VFR only pilots who might never see the question as they likely don't peruse this forum.

Best bet would've been:

Flight Following

Got a general question to ask or aviation topic to discuss? Establish contact here!

Thank you all. I’ll be IFR so hopefully they’ll give me a good tour if I just ask and we have clear VFR weather.
I’ll be landing at BVY just north of BOS.
The normal IFR routing from the CT area to BVY keeps you just west of BED then you almost get to LWM before they turn you to BVY. That routing keeps you well away from BOS. If the day is VFR you would be better off cancelling IFR and asking for a VFR Bravo Clearance

They have helicopter routes,if you are vfr it will depend on which runways they are landing for your routing. The controllers will try to accommodate you if it doesn’t mess up their traffic.

I’ve flown it several times in an R44 helicopter. Never been denied. Ask for Fenwa to Tobin copter routes or Tobin to fenwa if going north to south. That will take you right over the Charles and Fenway. Great tour. Study the heli charts before you go.

I’ve flown it several times in an R44 helicopter. Never been denied. Ask for Fenwa to Tobin copter routes or Tobin to fenwa if going north to south. That will take you right over the Charles and Fenway. Great tour. Study the heli charts before you go.
Check notams too. Would really suck to bust a tfr over a stadium.

If they decline the route, the appropriate response is "That's a wicked ****ah!"

Edit...or on POA, "peesah" :)

Wickid ****ah is a good thing.

They've let me do a few orbits of downtown at 2000ish. I think a lot of it depends on which runway is in use at Logan. But definitely ask, they'll accommodate you if they can. The controllers are very helpful, except for the guy with the Irish accent.

They've let me do a few orbits of downtown at 2000ish. I think a lot of it depends on which runway is in use at Logan. But definitely ask, they'll accommodate you if they can. The controllers are very helpful, except for the guy with the Irish accent.

I haven't heard the guy with the gravely voice lately, he used to do the sector over NH. Haven't had the irish accent guy.

I haven't heard the guy with the gravely voice lately, he used to do the sector over NH. Haven't had the irish accent guy.

The guy that always sounded like he was dying? I haven't heard him in a while either.

The guy that always sounded like he was dying? I haven't heard him in a while either.

Yes, he seemed like a nice guy. He would clip words occasionally, but after one "say again" he would slow down and be fine.

We'll survive :) This is specifically an IFR forum, and yours is 100% a VFR question. As such, a ton of local VFR only pilots who might never see the question as they likely don't peruse this forum.

Best bet would've been:

Flight Following

Got a general question to ask or aviation topic to discuss? Establish contact here!

I know this is off topic...but do many people pay attention to this sort of thing? I sure don't...in all the forums I visited over the years I have always just checked "unread" posts or "recent" posts or just do a search. I have rarely ever looked at a particular section.

Anyway, this is an interesting topic. I can't add to the Boston area conversation but the same idea applies to any big city airspace really and it's not something I've ever done.... ask for a tour clearance.

I know this is off topic...but do many people pay attention to this sort of thing? I sure don't...in all the forums I visited over the years I have always just checked "unread" posts or "recent" posts or just do a search. I have rarely ever looked at a particular section.

Opposite story here, I have never used the 'unread' or 'recent posts' feature. I browse by forum, and then take note of the new posts within that forum. I also look for topic replies in my alerts.

Back