Is there a B767 EFIS Turn Rate Indication Symbol?

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I was in a Maint training class for the 767 last week. When we covered the cockpit displays, I didn't see a turn rate indicator and the instructor didn't know. Is there one on a big jet like that? If not, why?

Thanks,

Probably because if you actually have to manually fly the plane in a hold you're done for anyway.

Not familiar with the 767, but you don't see the turn rate on the G1000 until you start a turn, the bar grows along the compass rose. Perhaps a similar type of display?

I'd doubt it. I've never seen a transport category a/c with one. It's not required for part 25, is what I've been told. They do have a slip/skid in the form of either a ball mounted on the bottom of the EFIS screen or the trapazoid below the sky-pointer arrow on the PFD.

Last edited:
Turn rate indicator isn't required if you have enough redundant attitude indicators.
(3) Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator, except on the following aircraft:
(i) Airplanes with a third attitude instrument system usable through flight attitudes of 360 degrees of pitch and roll and installed in accordance with the instrument requirements prescribed in Sec. 121.305(j) of this chapter
...and I suspect a 767 meets "the instrument requirements prescribed in Sec. 121.305(j)."

Turn rate indicator isn't required if you have enough redundant attitude indicators.
...and I suspect a 767 meets "the instrument requirements prescribed in Sec. 121.305(j)."

There are Captains & FOs Electronic Attitude Indicators and a standby. Each crew can select from one of 3 Flight Directors to drive their display, I guess that does it.

Someone in the class suggested that the path prediction indicator might assist too. I could almost see it. It looked like it could curl around pretty good on the illustrations.

Boeings are designed so that the pilot flies the airplane, as opposed to other manufacturers with the opposite philosophy.

Probably because if you actually have to manually fly the plane in a hold you're done for anyway.

Actually, I know a 757/767 FO for AA who claims that it is easier and more stable to handfly than any light GA airplane he has ever flown. It's not some strange French airplane that claims to be pilot proof until you're in alternate law...:D

The airbus has an electronic turn coordination indicator on each PFD. It comes in handy when hand flying and trimming the rudder. It turns into a Beta target indicator for optimum slideslip angle for engine out work. No turn rate indicator or on the 75/767 as far as I can remember.

The 757/767 has a slip/skid indicator (the ball), but no turn coordinator or turn/slip indicator. The ball is at the base of the EADI. The full glass Boeings (767-400, 777, 787 I presume) took out the ball, but have the beta indicator at the top of the sky pointer on the ADI display.

Actually, I know a 757/767 FO for AA who claims that it is easier and more stable to handfly than any light GA airplane he has ever flown. It's not some strange French airplane that claims to be pilot proof until you're in alternate law...:D

A friend is a 757 captain and he swears it is the best airliner ever built. Unlike most, it is over-powered which allows the pilot to avoid many gotchas present in other aircraft.

I've had the chance to fly the full motion sim and it is incredibly responsive. Very light on the controls and responsive compared to others.

Flown a couple of Airbuses and they're nice, but not as enjoyable as the 757.

Last edited:
Spit it out Greg.

Or should I help ya? ;)

Doesn't matter the manufacturer or how much computer crap they put in your way, one must always fly the airplane.

Just ask AF447.

Back