Is the US the only country with airports...

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
That don't have ICAO identifiers? I can't find any outside of America, and that seems a bit surprising to me.

SkyHog said:
That don't have ICAO identifiers? I can't find any outside of America, and that seems a bit surprising to me.
Dunno Nick, but we have an AWOS up in test mode at N99. It spits out a METAR with the id KN99. Maybe that's where things are moving...

This site has an interesting article on the history of identifiers. Here's an excerpt:

So if London Heathrow has two codes — and it does, LHR and EGLL — how come I've heard Chicago O'Hare only called ORD? The answer is unique to the United States. In the 48 contiguous States the ICAO code is formed simply by adding a "K" to the FAA code. This explains why international flight plans refer to KORD, KMIA, KJFK, etc. A meeting of two rules is Key West, the FAA code is EYW (lose the 'K') and the IATA code is KEYW (add a 'K') which works great for KEY West.

Other airports within FAA jurisdiction have ICAO codes usually formed by taking two letters from the FAA name and prefixing them with PA for Alaska, PH for Hawaii, or PG for Guam. PT appears to be Pacific Trust Territories (Pohnpei, Yap, Chuuk, etc.), and there are various random other P codes like PWAK for Wake Island.

-- Pilawt

The ICAO 4 letter codes are used everywhere. The three letter codes in the US like 6Y9, are IATA codes. The IATA issues these codes globably and list them in the Airline coding directory. But I do not have access to that subscription only directory so I cannot figure out where else these codes are being used up. But I do know that Canada no longer uses the IATA codes and has gone to the ICAO ones.

I *THINK* the IATA codes are only being used for things such as luggage tags and such. Which is why if you fly to Tokyo-Narita Airport you see the NRT on your ticket and luggage but the flight plan is to RJAA

Last edited:
To add to the confusion many of the airports in Alaska use both interchangeably. For example my airport is INR on the chart, PAIN on the METAR, INR in the Alaska Supplement, and mostly PAIN in computer flight planners (though some have it as INR) :dunno: INR in AOPA's airport directory, PAIN in the AOPA/Jepp real-time flight planner.

I'm talking more about airports like E89, 24N, 6Y9, etc. There is no ICAO code for them. How would one fly from EGLL to 6Y9? The international flight plan form requires the ICAO, right?

alaskaflyer said:
To add to the confusion many of the airports in Alaska use both interchangeably. For example my airport is INR on the chart, PAIN on the METAR, INR in the Alaska Supplement, and mostly PAIN in computer flight planners (though some have it as INR) :dunno: INR in AOPA's airport directory, PAIN in the AOPA/Jepp real-time flight planner.

PAIN INR = PAIN IN the Rear?

SkyHog said:
I'm talking more about airports like E89, 24N, 6Y9, etc. There is no ICAO code for them. How would one fly from EGLL to 6Y9? The international flight plan form requires the ICAO, right?
Nick,
I think that point is moot. You would have to file to a airport of entry.
Dont think 6Y9 qualifies.

cherokeeflyboy said:
Nick,
I think that point is moot. You would have to file to a airport of entry.
Dont think 6Y9 qualifies.

Not yet anyway. We have big plans!!! :rofl:

Back