Is the FAA really that slow?

• Thread starter FAA stole my lunch money
  • Start date
F

FAA stole my lunch money

Hi everyone. I’m currently jumping through the FAAs ADHD hoops with a deferred medical. They gave me 60 days to submit the neuropsychological evaluation, but one of the requirements is for them to send my airman medical record to the neuropsych. I’ve taken the test already, but the deadline is approaching and they FAA still hasn’t sent my records! Are they normally this slow? They’ve given me a deadline but are the ones that will be cause for delay.. Seems ironic.

Im going to request an extension, but was wondering who else had experiences waiting for the airman records to a third-party and how long you waited for.

Mine took 2-1/2 months from when it was requested

It's an amusing irony that an ADHD-diagnosed applicant thinks things aren't moving fast enough in their medical app. :D

love the username though.

A8C216BC-3B23-40E5-BA0E-7EABFE02929C.gif

It’s the government, nobody is in any hurry to do anything. Try going to the DMV...

We were successful catching this image
upload_2020-7-24_13-45-25.gif

Hi everyone. I’m currently jumping through the FAAs ADHD hoops with a deferred medical. They gave me 60 days to submit the neuropsychological evaluation, but one of the requirements is for them to send my airman medical record to the neuropsych. I’ve taken the test already, but the deadline is approaching and they FAA still hasn’t sent my records! Are they normally this slow? They’ve given me a deadline but are the ones that will be cause for delay.. Seems ironic.

Im going to request an extension, but was wondering who else had experiences waiting for the airman records to a third-party and how long you waited for.
Guys, resist if you can, being "snarky". There's an 85% chance this is a normal kid.

Dear Lunch money: it is impossible to comply with the FAA's request for a neurcog in the 60 day limit. Why? it takes 4 months to get the record and if by policy, the copy the Neuropsych uses, cannot have been through your custody (so you couldn't pre-order it), and he/she cannot release a report without it without losing her appointment (we have some sorry tales about airmen "editing" their records)..

That is why one gets a CONSULT first, then goes about and obtains everything on the list, and Then gets the Neurocog, and then applies. IF you have all that and it's favorable it's but 6 weeks to approval.

You will be accepting the denial (they will give you 30 more days but by attorney driven policy that's all they can give you, and then you will apply again. Successfully.

Each function of the FAA is regulated under policy. When it one piece cannot deliver, all the other pieces continue grinding away. Another example would be the current 18 to 20 day lag from "documents received by either courier or fax (neither has to go to decontam) and when they can see the stuff in system. I warn all my SI deferrals, that you WILL get a certified letter just after day 14 demanding everything we just sent them, so "Don't Panic lads". that part of the process grinds away even though the ability of the FAA to get stuff scanned into system in a timely way, is again in crisis.

This last week I had to revoke a HIMS captain for having a positive Urine test. I have 24 hours form my knowledge to get him shut down. I faxed in the letter...."oh, wait, that's not gonna work"... so I emailed four medical officers and just ONE of them said they would take care of it.

The system still functions but it is as close to being broken as you can get without actually being broken.

IMO this is because, for 30 years since Reagan, we have had one party insisting "you can do more with government" and the other saying, "not another dime". This is the collision of the two. 99.9% of the folks at FAA are doing their level best. I would not desire to be in Federal service at the current time.

Last edited:
IMO this is because, for 30 years since Reagan, we have had one party insisting "you can do more with government" and the other saying, "not another dime". This is the collision of the two. 99.9% of the folks at FAA are doing their level best. I would not desire to be in Federal service at the current time.

Exactly. And agencies that can't pay enough to hire people that really do have the experience, judgement, and knowledge compared to what the private sector pays. Thus, with a few exceptions, the Feds are an employer of last resort.

I decided not to apply for an upper level management position in a different federal agency last fall, even though I would have met 100% of the requirements and knew the role inside and out. Why? Because I talked to some folks I know within the agency and they told me how everything was being driven by lawyers & thus experienced people could not exercise judgement. And they can't fill open lower-level positions because the pay is less than half of private sector. Someone I know pretty well left the position. They still haven't made a permanent hire. I mention it here because the agency does some stuff with aviation.

The problem of slow processing is exactly the kind of problem that should be front-and-center of the alphabet association that lobby.

I had my info sent in in late May and got my demand letter (for my absolute BS Tourettes diagnosis) sent on June 23rd, keep in mind this was ADHD + Autism Spectrum Disorder (Without a psychiatric evaluation). Maybe they've got things moving along, then again @bbchien always knows best.

I had my info sent in in late May and got my demand letter (for my absolute BS Tourettes diagnosis) sent on June 23rd, keep in mind this was ADHD + Autism Spectrum Disorder (Without a psychiatric evaluation). Maybe they've got things moving along, then again @bbchien always knows best.

I actually got a couple of demand letters before I received my medical history. I dont know why it took them so long.

I actually got a couple of demand letters before I received my medical history. I don't know why it took them so long.
Insufficient funding. As in, "Congressman, you did not supply enough funds for the mission".

Seriously, we have a deep divide in this country. One group sez, "you can do more with government". The other sez, "not a dime more". And this is the "collision" result. 4 months to get a record. And usually on a 90 day FAA demand turnaround which is mandated by reg and general counsel.

My experience:

FAA letter received: January 21

requested records for HIMS psych - February 2
psych evaluation - March 7
psych received records - May 13

requested records for neuropsychologist - March 28
neuropsychological testing - April 5
neuropsychologist received records - May 18

Per the FAA, they will not send a denial until the docs involved have received your FAA records.

My experience:

FAA letter received: January 21

requested records for HIMS psych - February 2
psych evaluation - March 7
psych received records - May 13

requested records for neuropsychologist - March 28
neuropsychological testing - April 5
neuropsychologist received records - May 18

Per the FAA, they will not send a denial until the docs involved have received your FAA records.
..or they have made the record demand and yo do not respond by the deadline (analyst level denial for "failure to provide").

..or they have made the record demand and yo do not respond by the deadline (analyst level denial for "failure to provide").

That's not what they told me on the phone.

In any case, I missed the "deadline" because it took so long to get my record to the psychiatrist and neuropsych, and they issued without ever sending a denial letter.

That's not what they told me on the phone.

In any case, I missed the "deadline" because it took so long to get my record to the psychiatrist and neuropsych, and they issued without ever sending a denial letter.
Well, I'm glad they treated SOMEBODY correctly. How can you issue a demand letter due 60 days when getting the record that the HIMS evaluator needs comonly takes longer than that- and as you know you can't "preorder" because the HIMS evaluator has to have a copy that has NOT BEEN IN YOUR CUSTODY.

Now that said, there are a limited # of times we can ask for "out of sequence early delivery", but the Records library staff- but we sure do request it when it's needed (and they try to accomodate)!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back